French Language

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Speaking french

For those who move to France, with little or no french, just how long did you expect it to take you to speak enough french to 'manage' to do most things in life????

And how long did it take in reality???

I was discussing this with a friend the other day.

Speech only, not written french which is quite another thingBig Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote
Blink [blink]

Re: Speaking french

I was always taught to put one question mark after a question. Do you think putting several "???" makes it stand out as an important question or draw peoples attention to your post? Why do you do that?

Report   Reply Quote

Ah please, of all the stuff on the internet with abbreviations and stuff, my ??? multiple question marks worry you.

I don't do it to make it stand out, but that I do more than 'ponder' it....... take it or leave it.Blink [blink]

Report   Reply Quote

Take it or leave it?????????????
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

A bit like this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report   Reply Quote

Sarcasm and nit-picking seem to be becoming popular todaySad [:(]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun - obviously a sensitive topic.
Personally I don't think any of us from the UK, arriving in middle age or later, can ever be as fluent as native born.
One advantage you and I have, Idun, is that we have the NE England broad vowels, more easily understood by french people.
My friend in France came from Devon and the locals couldn't understand a word .  Though she gets away with it because she's such a cheerful sociable person. They're still there, after 30 years.

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

I originated in the NE and didn't speak a word of French when we moved here. Took me just over a month to become fluent and then we went native, never looked back. You would be hard pushed to tell us from our French neighbours at a chasse  dinner. Total immersion, that's the way to do it.

Went back to the UK once and visited the NE again, what a cold miserable place it is, sun never came out while we were there. Full of bloody foreigners now and returnees from Europe who couldn't cope with the language.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine