French Finance

Topic has 239 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Confused [8-)]

Social Charges - here we go again!

An item on French Property News came out yesterday

which appears will lead to another round of claims by French Residents with S1 forms. The court has basically disallowed the changes to law made by the French Government in 2015 which re-allocated Social Charges and allowed them to be imposed on everyone in France.

The important part of the article is where it states that claims for refund of Social Charges paid for 2015 and 2016 must be submitted before the end of 2018.

Sounds like it's going to be another long saga to get the money back.......

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Social Charges - here we go again!

Yes, but look at it this way, Sheila:  say you spend 3 hours printing out paperwork, writing letters, doing all the necessary and you get back 300 euros.  That's 100 euros for 1 hour's work.  Don't know about you but I can honestly say that in my whole working life, I never earned money at that kind of rate.

So, don't you think it's worth the "long saga to get the money back"?  Plus, if it's as hoped, they'd have to pay interest on the money, like they did last timeSmile [:)]

Feel better about the grind?  AND, I hope your health is now hugely improvedSmile [:)]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote
Idea [I]

I have been usurped! Yes, it is not Sheila, but the OH who wrote the above.
100 euros for 1 hour's work..............sounds good to me. OH is going for it

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

I suppose that we appeal again, exactly as last time, quoting the Ruyter decision?

Definitely worth a try.  Now easier than ever with all previous tax avis on-line and printable. 

Anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Report   Reply Quote

Hopefully Parsnip will be along to advise us.
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint, yes it's time to gear up for another round of claims. Not sure if we need to mention De Ruyter or the Appeal Court decision - or both!

It's interesting that the Appeal Court in Nancy stated that "the major part (14.05%) of the social charges was to be immediately reimbursed to the taxpayer." Members of that Court have obviously never seen the Fisc in action - or in this case, non-action!

Funny that when we owe the Fisc money, we have a limited time to pay before penalties kick in. However, when the Fisc owe us money, we have to make a claim and then wait for over two years for them to actually pay out. Yes, they pay some interest but most of us would rather have the money now. After all, the Fisc know from our tax returns how much we have paid in Social Charges and it can't be that hard to trawl through the taxpayer database to find all references to S1 or E121. They could even obtain a list from CPAM to cross-check - although that would mean two Government departments actually having to talk to each other.....

I'm guessing that they work on the principle that they will have to refund less money if a) they don't actively inform the taxpayers and b) force those who do find out to make a claim within a short time in the hope that a lot of people will be too late.

Plus ça change....

Sheila's OH

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the very useful info. I have just sent an email to the local Hotel (Limoux) referring to the "arrêt de la Cour Administrative d'appel at Nancy, 31 mai 2018" saying that, in the light of this decision, some of the social prelevements levied on my revenue for the years 2015, 2016, and 2017 are illegal. Refund requested - watch this space. I was one of the early claimants (successfully) following the "de Ruyter" decision when all went well without a hitch, Fingers crossed!
UAG
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh yes, please, Gallois, do let us know!  I claimed for 2015 at the time but that was refused.  Would be a nice Christmas present if they'd stop pussyfooting around and just give us our money backBig Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine