Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Idea [I]

VAN HIRE

Hi,

I  can anybody point me in the right direction for van  hire from UK to France. thankyou.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: VAN HIRE

audi, try www.1wayhire.com - their website gives indicative costs for one way hire with driver, as well as dimensions etc for their range of vans and even a small lorry. Incidentally, they advertise in Living France so you have lost marks for not reading your magazine!

Ken

Report   Reply Quote

That looks really interesting - anyone on here tried them?

Our last-but-one load has just left the UK.  We don't finally move until February 1, so the UK house is looking fairly empty now. 

On the up-side, we packed up the UK garden furniture, pots and things and are looking forward to unpacking them in France next weekend - please can we order some good weather so that we can enjoy them - SE England this weekend was VERY wet!

Sass

Report   Reply Quote

We did the move in October and have finally started unpacking boxes from our garage in France.  Discovered we have furry visitors in the garage, one was still resident in the box when I unpacked it. Loud scream heard coming from kitchen.  Mouse now resident in the field opposite our house, probably now on his way back to the garage to rejoin his family!!  We used Pierremont Van Hire, broadstairs, but not sure if they do one way van hire.  Very reasonably priced.

Suey

Report   Reply Quote

This may seem a daft question but I've just checked out the One-Way-Hire site, which looks very interesting. However, there is no indication of quite what their price includes. Obviously the 'from' price differs depending on where you are going but does anyone know whether they then factor in the ferry costs for a final quote, or does the hirer have to arrange this on top of the van hire? If anyone knows, that would be great; if not I'll contact them and ask my daft question direct!

Report   Reply Quote

Did some follow-up on my last post: thought the results might be useful to others. I asked One-Way-Hire for a quote from a short way out of Portsmouth to an hour's journey into Normandy, for the smallest group size van (prices from £165-185 as the starting point). Total cost would be approx £800 to include ferry and petrol. Quote arrived efficiently within a few hours of request. As I don't have too much stuff I shall probably take it over gradually myself but the info may help others with their calculations.
   Report   Reply Quote

If ferry costs are included then it will obviously vary considerably according to what time of year and what time of day you are going. I understand that vans are one area where Brittany Ferries is pretty competitive for fares with the likes of Transmanche and LD Lines. As one-way-hire includes a driver, and isn't self drive, the company will probably pick the crosssing that suits it best.

For that sort of money it is probably worth considering doing what we did - buy a cheap van yourself. Our old Transit (£425 with 1 year MoT, and just under 5m long, 2.1m high) cost very little more than a car on BF (or P&O, which was running to Cherbourg in those days) and carried many, many loads in both directions.

As for normal van hire, it depends where you are. I know a couple of companies in NW Sussex (one low-budget, the other mid-range) that will hire you a van and not object to going overseas.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Will - as usual, very sound advice! I'd be grateful to know which the companies are that will hire a van with no objection about it going to France and back, as they'd almost certainly not be too far from us. I may yet be scouring the 'For Sale' section in the West Sussex Gazette too... I'm sure the van and driver set-up is good for those making a full move but I'm not sure it's economic for small fry!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine