Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Planning permission and above-ground pool

Clair wrote:
Indeed!Smile [:)]

I was asked to complete a new H1 form after installing an above-ground pool (subject to a déclaration de travaux, which automatically kicks a H1 follow-up).
.Whistles [Www]

Sorry - going off topic a bit! I didn't realise you had to get planning permission to install an above ground pool, Clair? Are you sure? I thought it was just inground pools. We have a little one (4mtr diameter, metal wall) which we are going to put up next to the patio at the weekend (on the box it says that it will take 3 men, five hours - ha!). Should we fill in a form? Edit - Eek! How do you do a quote without the gobbledegook?

Edited by Moderator to make quote legible

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Planning permission and above-ground pool

No you don't need any permission to put up a pool which can be taken down again at the end of the season. Its only for in-ground and semi-in ground and a permanent fixture like one of the wooden framed ones over a certain size that you need permission for and safety regulations.
   Report   Reply Quote

When I looked into it in 2004, I was given all sorts of guidelines and quoted all sorts of texts.

From what I can make out, the need for a déclaration de travaux depends on various aspects and/or a combination of:
  • height of pool walls: yes if walls are above 0.60m but no if they're inferior to 1m and both following conditions are also answered by no
  • distance from boundary: no if distance is greater than 3m
  • pool surface area: no if inferior to 20m²
Our above-ground pool is 1.10m high, so we completed a déclaration de travaux for that reason alone.

The official text I quote from is here:
http://www.finances.gouv.fr/DGCCRF/04_dossiers/consommation/ficonso/piscines_hs.htm

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Don't you just love france and it's wonderful interpretations of rules.

We have a 6.5 metre above ground pool, 1.4 metres in depth and because our ground slopes part of the pool is 0.5 metres below ground. I took detailed plans to the marie and was told that "thank you for advising us, but no permission is required", "we will advise the pompiers, however, that there is now an emergency water supply available at your property"

Smile [:)]

"Growing Old is Inevitable - Growing up is Totally Optional"

Report   Reply Quote

Great! Smile [:)]
Mine is on a slope too, but instead of looking at the lowest depth, they looked at the highest!Blink [blink]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

A non-public outdoors summer waves above ground pool in the lower back garden of a home assets within the united states does not normally require making plans permission unless the property is listed, sited in a conservation area or vicinity of super herbal splendor or the summer pool is to have a permanent enclosure, where making plans may be required.

Report   Reply Quote

Probably not but this is France and you are going to have to build a wall and pay for it!

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

A guy in our road has just installed a partly above ground pool, one of the 4 sides is above ground, the rest totally underground. It is built less than a metre from the neighbouring boundary and less than 3 metres from his sliding patio doors. He told us the Mairie said he didn't need any permission and so therefore would not affect his property taxes (I do actually believe he made these enquiries as he's a pretty straight up and down guy). Hearing this good news, we took a few drawings to the Mairie just to make sure; Our pool would be smaller than our neighbours, only 2 of the four sides would be partially underground (sloping site) and ours would be sited more than 80 metres in either direction from our nearest neighbor. Mairie told us we would have to complete a declaration prealable, we could not site it less than 3 metres from any of our house walls and because just under 50% of the pool is underground our property taxes would increase. When we asked if we could install a totally above ground pool (not ideal) without the need to complete the forms (and subsequent hike in taxes) his reply was that because we are on a steep slope, any excavation to level the site to accommodate a pool would mean it was underground. Never heard such rubbish in my life. But guess what he says goes?
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine