French Education

Topic has 88 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?

It's a blessing the homework didn't use the word 'gotten'.

Some members of English classes we take in our town used to have an American couple teaching them before we took over. We found members used quite a few American phrases, which really grated, such as gotte, cowlick, parking lot etc.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Interestingly, sources such as the British Council say that "have got" is more common in British English and "have" in American English. I certainly think this is true in the interrogative form.
"Gotten" is an interesting one. It was, of course, the original form for the past tense, crossed the Atlantic and remained in American usage, but declined in British usage. It is still used in Scotland.
Of course we happily still use the form in "forgotten".

Report   Reply Quote

I think the prohibition in primary schools (though I have never come across it myself) will be more to do with encouraging an extensive and varied vocabulary. "I got up, I got breakfast, I got dressed, I went to school", becoming "I arose from my bed, donned my garments, prepared my morning repast and departed". Ho hum.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think you are right EmilyA. I think it was for the same reason we were banned from using 'nice' to encourage us to use a wider variety of adjectives.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, "got" does let you off thinking of other words to use instead of it.

Understood:  you've got it?
Received: you got the letter ok?
Solved: I got round that one!
Start:  I got going eventually...
Achieved:  I got the best marks ever!

And so on..........perhaps we should now have a bit of a game to see who can think of the most uses for "got"Big Smile [:D]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

mint wrote:
Yes, "got" does let you off thinking of other words to use instead of it.

Understood:  you've got it?
Received: you got the letter ok?
Solved: I got round that one!
Start:  I got going eventually...
Achieved:  I got the best marks ever!

And so on..........perhaps we should now have a bit of a game to see who can think of the most uses for "got"Big Smile [:D]

That's probably got a few people thinking ...........

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Anyone interested in how grammar is taught in English primary schools now might like to try this sample test. All eleven-year-olds in Year 6 will take the full tests this month.
https://sats2017.uk/quiz-would-you-pass-sats-english-grammar/
   Report   Reply Quote

I think mint will need to change her bottom line to "make the acquaintance of anyone who has a dog". 😀
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine