French Language

Topic has 115 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Hopeless!

Oh deary me Ronnie - happy to dish it out but can't take it eh?

I simply love love your 'I will not bother commenting on the posts from BB and CL....' statement - swiftly followed by your comments on our posts - a little psychotic I feel.,,,,,

I was also drawn to your statement that you are 'a little more discerning when it comes to handing anyone your affection and especially your respect' - I guess that's what your open and loving church and priests have taught you have they?

I feel so very very sorry for your wife.....sounds like a living hell.

Chiefluvvie :-)

Report   Reply Quote

Oh hello! Are you still here?

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think I spot Son of Bentley.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi sid - having to do a bit of work at the moment so in London - could be worse !! :-) I try to have a peak at the forum every now and then - just to keep things in order you understand. Add a little spice to the mix and challenge drivel.....

Report   Reply Quote

I would have thought that the danger in two non-French speaking people conversing only in French with each other, is that they would create their own version of franglais, since neither of them would know enough to be sure that they are correct.

Idun - I'd have been there with the blunt instrument!!

Report   Reply Quote

Pommier, I think you have a valid point there. It certainly is borne out by my experience in Sweden trying to speak Swedish with another British person.

However I do feel that the more effort and commitment you put into learning a foreign language the quicker you learn it. Some people can become fluent surprisingly quickly and other can live in a country for years without getting beyond a very basic level. It all comes down to motivation and effort. Some people definitely do have a much better ear for languages than others but even those of us like myself who do not, can learn a language to a reasonable level of fluency in a couple of years.

"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Ok..so...I'm bilingual and therefore not sure how much you value my opinion - but here goes anyway....

Naturally I know many people - friends and family members - who are not bilingual and, none of them have ever expressed a wish to be. Most get along just fine.

However, I think it's really important not to give yourself a hard time when learning another language - especially French! It has to be fun or it's pretty pointless.

Ok agreed you need to give it a degree of commitment but it is SOOOOO much easier to try and assimilate and naturally absorb French instead of getting tied up in knots with verb tables, grammatical rules and those pesky 'exceptions' - there's ALWAYS an exception to any French language rule!

Relax, stop paying out a fortune for pointless lessons that become tortuous, and things will become much, much easier. A colleague of mine has been taking French lessons from his female tennis coach for the past 8 years - he's still at the 'plume de ma tante' stage - makes you wonder doesn't it!!?

Report   Reply Quote

Ron, I almost hate to mention this but I have a feeling that the older people get the harder it is for them to continue with any language other than their mother tongue, ie when you are in your eighties your fluency may just desert you.

Actually I know a couple of people personally where this has happened and one is left with a mish mash of language that only his loved ones would understand

It's all very well and good to plan for thirty plus years of language use, but Mother Nature may have other plans.
Plus of course language is an ever changing stream and you may find it increasingly difficult to keep abreast of English.

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine