Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Are the ferries reducing their fares?

We haven't had cause to use a ferry for nearly two years now so I'm not particularly uptodate.  However, I have noticed that our uptake of Brit bookings for our B&B is way down this year.  It's picking up a bit now but all are last minute bookings with about 3 days notice, unlike previous years where they book months in advance.

I also heard that one of the only areas of commerce that is doing well this summer in the UK is guesthouses and campsites because less people are going abroad this year.  Has anyone noticed if any of the ferry companies are trying to encourage use by offering decent reductions?  Especially Brittany Ferries?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Are the ferries reducing their fares?

I certainly don't think BF are reducing their fares - we are paying nearly £140.00 for two of us to go from Caen to Portsmouth and back as Foot Passengers!! Can't afford to take the car - they wanted almost £260.00 for that!. Luckily our family live in Portsmouth so we don't have to worry about onward travel.
If our knees bent the other way what shape would chairs be.............
   Report   Reply Quote

Report in my local paper from Cumbria Tourism says bookings are up 37% on 2007 figures and with 20% shift in value against the euro compared with last year, I can't see many making the trip to France. A report in the papers also showed car hire in France to be one of the most expensive in Europe.     
   Report   Reply Quote

Mayennaise wrote:
I certainly don't think BF are reducing their fares - we are paying nearly £140.00 for two of us to go from Caen to Portsmouth and back as Foot Passengers!! Can't afford to take the car - they wanted almost £260.00 for that!.

When's that for though?  If it's during the school holidays then it's very cheap compared to previous years when we've had guests paying between £400 and £600 for a car and 5 passengers.

Report   Reply Quote

Next week - for twelve days - and we are members of the owners club so that amount includes the discount!
If our knees bent the other way what shape would chairs be.............
   Report   Reply Quote

Mayenaise, Is £35 per trip each really so unreasonable ?

Just as a comparison a normal single rail fare from Reading to Taunton is £41

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Is it really, Russethouse?  When we lived in Taunton and our son went to school in Surrey, he always had to change at Reading.

As I remember it, we used to send his luggage in advance so that he himself only took a suitcase.  Don't remember it as being especially expensive.

Only drawback was he always went back to school on a Sunday and would have to change about 4 times and took all day to get back.  Always engineering works or some such.

Mind you Bridgend to Paddinton day return was in excess of £140 if you need to get to London before 10am.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Mayennaise wrote:
Next week - for twelve days - and we are members of the owners club so that amount includes the discount!

Have to agree with Russethouse, for the time of year I think with or without the car these prices are pretty reasonable.  Like I said, we\ve had guests pay in excess of £400 and as much as £600.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine