Pregnancy and Birth

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Vital vocab!!

Could someone tell me the French for "My partner's waters have broken, shall we come to the hospital", please?!  Actually, should be ok with the second bit, but I don't remember my GCSE covering broken waters.

This is just prep, you understand, not an emergency.

Thanks.

www.lepicvert.com
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Vital vocab!!

La poche (des eaux) s'est rompue!

See here (in French): http://sante-medecine.commentcamarche.net/accouchement/03_l-accouchement.php3

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Mark - the answer will be yes, IMHO when the waters break you should go to the hospital, (let them know you are coming though ) it happened to me twice, neither time was there any other  sign of labour, but once the waters have broken there is a slightly increased risk of infection and there is no going back !

I suppose it's possible it could be different in France, someone may know ?

Good Luck

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

A friend of mine who is a midwife in Australia told me once that the words " she wants to push! " are enough to make maternity staff spring into action anywhere; my OH had to scream those words down the mobile during our race to hospital three years ago - and we were 35 km's from the clinic! we made it by 15 minutes...and the lift was out of order...my 'walk' up those two flights of stairs was straight out of  the 'ministry of silly walks' - where was the OH meanwhile...? fishing his camera gear out of the car bootWoot! [:-))]
   Report   Reply Quote

Clair wrote:
La poche (des eaux) s'est rompue!

See here (in French): http://sante-medecine.commentcamarche.net/accouchement/03_l-accouchement.php3

I just stood there in the clinics reception swishing and swoshing all over the place saying "J'ai perdu mes eaux" (I've lost my waters).  Apparently the cleaners were delighted the next day as it's better than any cleaning product on the market!  

My French mother-in-law however was a bit miffed as it was she who 'delivered' me to the clinic in her 1 day old Peugeot 206Big Smile [:D]Stick out tongue [:P]

PMSL LOL MDr.
   Report   Reply Quote

Did you lose it in her brand new car then?Woot! [:-))]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the prep - my experience is that if the waters break they like the mum to be to go to the hospital within 3 hours.  so you have time to have a quick shower, wash hair, have some breakfast and pack hubby a pic-nic!  All very essential!  Hubby meanwhile, managed 2 hours extra sleep (didn't wake him up to tell him) then ran round, somewhat demented and panicing, looking for towels to put on the van seat!  (Whether to protect his seat or my bum, I'm not quite sure)

Cheers

Report   Reply Quote

Clair wrote:
Did you lose it in her brand new car then?Woot! [:-))]

Oh yeah - definatelyBig Smile [:D]

I woke up fed the cats - my waters broke!  Husband nowhere to be found (anti-mobile phone at the time) so 'watered'  my kitchen and living-room floor.  Called my MIL who was the only person around to take me to the clinic 40 mins. from my house - how fortunate is that?Smile [:)] Thought about taking a shower while I waited for her to come and fetch me - then thought better.  Why do we want to do that?

Drenched her brand new car sitting with my lower body suspended between the car seat and the floor for 35 kms (speed bumps 'n' all), arrived at the clinic and continued to 'flow' up the steps and into the reception area moving onto my gynaecologists office for a quick check-up.  Carried on doing a great immitation of Niagra Falls as I sat in the waiting room because there were no rooms available. 

Twenty nine hours later - my little angel arrived.  Kiss [kiss]

Did I mention that my daughter loves swimming?Smile [:)]

PMSL LOL MDr.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine