Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 18 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Car Hire from Hertz

Had an e mail from Hertz today (I am a member of their No1 Club) and they have 20% of all bookings until Dec if booked by close of play on 4 September.

Andy Philpott

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Car Hire from Hertz

Cynical old me, I had a look at their website, I don't see any difference. Compared to the other companys nothing special.

I noticed they have dropped from the other week but that would only be because they put them UP in the first place, maybe so they can advertise the 20%off now.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

I normally go on the comparison sites as well as the various companies websites to find the cheapest and book whichever is.

However, the last two cars that I collected from Hertz at 23:00 at Toulouse airport meant that I could not inspect for damage until the next day due to it being pitch black. In both cases the cars had extensive damage compared to what was shown on the paperwork. What fun it was getting them to accept the damage. The last time involved me driving back to the airport as the local agent would not confirm the damage.

I now use the criteria of price and integrity.

Paul

BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

I have had problems twice with Hertz claiming damage on cars I have returned. To be fair both of these were in Norway, but I am deeply suspicious of them and now try to use other operators.
Jim (Oxfordshire and Manche)
   Report   Reply Quote

La Guerriere wrote:
I have had problems twice with Hertz claiming damage on cars I have returned. To be fair both of these were in Norway, but I am deeply suspicious of them and now try to use other operators.

Post it on the Norway forum.

http://www.alloexpat.com/moving_to_norway_forum/

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Jolly good idea
Jim (Oxfordshire and Manche)
   Report   Reply Quote

Regardless of the supplier I always check the car before I drive off - pitch black, pouring with rain - whatever. In most of the compounds there is a lighted area even if just for security lighting. If all fails I make them come out with a torch (only once!)

Don't trust any of them an inch is my view.

I once collected a car from Europcar which was supposedly in perfect condition. When I drove it to a lighted area to check, virtually the whole length of the passenger side had been scraped to the extent that the trim was knocked off. Did they apologise? Not likely!

As far as Hertz is concerned I have had some minor damage occasionally and they have not bothered about it (so far). I don't always use them - I often book via Holiday Autos if they have a significantly cheaper deal - but have had no problem to date. In addition I take out an annual damage waiver policy with http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ and that covers me for any damage, including that which is generally excluded by the damage waiver policies which the car hire people sell - e.g windscreen. At a cost of £49 for Europe it costs me less than insuring each time (even with Holiday Autos at £2.50 per day) given the number of times I hire a year.

If there is not too much in the price I tend to go for Hertz as the No 1 Club service is excellent. Last time I hired from them (Oct at Toulon) I had the car keys and was on my way in less than 2 minutes!!

Andy

PS I have no connection with ANY of the businesses mentioned here!!!

Report   Reply Quote

Good advice Andy

We are hiring via Europcar from Stansted in December. I've been advised that their daily charge for damage waiver is £12 so will be taking out the cover with insurance4carhire as we've used them before (but no claims).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever made a claim and how they (insurance4carhire) dealt with it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I will take my trusty Maglite to inspect carefully for any damage!

Peter 

Sue
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine