Working with Wood

Topic has 120 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Bin busy again..

I've been busy at my hobby again and I saw the light again. Well, for the forth time really. I love turning lamps. Angle poise to be precise and this is the biggest one yet.

Beech stem and arm peices, oak base and leylandii shade. I was given a not very nice looking lump of oak on a visit to a wood supplier in Carcassonne a couple of years back when I bought a couple of beech planks, 2" x 8" x 10' for some other job. I have some of the beech left over, so I decided to make this lamp.

The base is about 12" diameter and took 1/2 of the oak. This is a before/after photo

It turned out better than I had expected. I wanted to hide the cable in this one, apart from the elbows of course. I had to do the upright in 3 sections as my lathe bad is about 3" long, so I cheated with the join by putting a contrasting ring between the bits. It would be very difficult to get the 2 to align perfectly and it looks awful if they don't.

The shaft top knucle was fun too, but it was a good finish

The shade is that stuff that every gardener this side of the pond adores, especially if it's the neighbours ajoining hedge, leylandii! It is lovely to turn though and takes a lovely finish too.

And the completed lamp is now in use each evening in our lounge. But the photo was taken outside before anyone comments

Next? I have a 12" long by about 8" diameter leylandii log on the lathe and I hope to make about 6 small dishes from it. It's good fun as it's all shapes and lumps, but I know there's are lovely dishes hiding in there. All I have to do is dig them out

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine