Driving in France

Topic has 127 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Exchange UK driving licence

Well, maybe they are, at last, speeding up in Nantes, because I got my attestation a year to the day that I sent my application to Nantes, on 27 Sept, and 2 weeks before the licence runs out.  Even better, they received my old licence on 3 Oct, and today, yes, 3 working days later, I get the gone into production email, so it now goes to ANTS and we'll see what happens next.  Of course, the new licence, when it is finally sent, and guess what we are doing to celebrate my big birthday at the weekend .. going on a nice cruise ... guess when the licence will arrive .. yes, you got it, whilst we are away! At least that I can deal with ... what a saga, and I have been lucky, I know ... emails, letters ad infinitum .. who knows??  At least the end seems to be now in sight!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Judith wrote : ... guess when the licence will arrive .. yes, you got it, whilst we are away! At least that I can deal with ... what a saga, and I have been lucky, I know ... emails, letters ad infinitum .. who knows?? At least the end seems to be now in sight!

New driving licences have to be signed for .. perhaps a word with la poste before you go away ?
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, Sue, yes, I know!  Going to sort out a procuration with the friend who will pop in to do the pool and check the house over, and make it look like someone is about, whilst we are away.  Still, I'm ever hopeful, and as long as it doesn't get struck in the production system which some do, I'll be  happy enough.  Not sure our post office lady will be helpful, we all call her the obergriffenfuhrer!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I applied for an exchange on June 4 (my UK licence expires on Oct 31) and heard nothing until Monday, when my dossier was returned with a note saying it was incomplete. They claimed I'd failed to send them proof of address and legal residence. Now, I'm pretty thorough with paperwork and spent some time ensuring my application was accompanied by everything they asked for, but who am I to argue?

Quickly photocopied the documents they needed and rushed to the post office. In my village, being Monday, it was closed. Drove 15km to find an open one and sent what I hoped was now a "dossier complet".

On the bright side, the address I was asked to use seemed to be some sort of fast track and I'm hope three weeks is long enough for them to sort things out. Fingers crossed, but I'll be astounded if I can drive legally on November 1.
   Report   Reply Quote

Al Rogers, thanks for making me smile this morning.

To quote you :  Now I'm pretty thorough with my paperwork.

and so you are applying for a french driving licence and at the side of the page it says, Al Rogers   - Aberdeen.

Little things do amuse me and this didWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Judith-aka-Judith wrote:
  .............................  Not sure our post office lady will be helpful, we all call her the obergriffenfuhrer!

We came across the rudest, most unhelpful post office lady we ever had the misfortune to deal with, in a town near us, just in Herault. I wonder if they are related?

It was probably about ten or so years ago, and we often drive through the town, but we have never been in that PO again.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

nomoss wrote : We came across the rudest, most unhelpful post office lady we ever had the misfortune to deal with, in a town near us, just in Herault. I wonder if they are related?

It was probably about ten or so years ago, and we often drive through the town, but we have never been in that PO again.

Perhaps that's her aim in life .. to discourage clients so much that they don't return as it will make her life a lot easier.
That is until la poste realises she is doing no business and they close the branch ☺
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Self-delusion is another one of my traits, Idun 😀
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine