Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Gite swimming pool regulations

We are thinking about building a couple of gites and allowing the tenants to use our swimming pool. Can anyone tell me what regulations I need to have in place for the pool over and above the usual ones? For instance  I have been told I need automatic ph and chlorine balance equipment. Thanks for all relevant info Mick

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Gite swimming pool regulations

Best plan is to call me and I can talk you through the list of considerations.

However, breifly your need to comply with DDASS (Dept of Health )regulations.

So you must have

• 3 hour water change, all water is filtered every 3 hours;
  • Sanitsation conforming with norm - auto dosing conforms, so does manual chlor but its difficult to keep up with testing and dosing.
  • Shower near pool
  • Pediluvre (foot bath) wheel chair accessable
  • Toilets with access
  • Test (pH, Chlor libre)at least once per day with reliable tester and record
  • Your water mist be free of chloromines, phosphates, nitrates and certain bacteria,and paracites
  • AFNOR Compliant security

Not an extensive list and it depends on the inspector how tough they will be on you, but its an indication.

(Just a note that salt chlorine generators are NOT accepted as they do not conform.)

I can help you upgrade your pool to be compliant and pass the water test every time if you want, you'll need t contact me.

Andrew

Report   Reply Quote
Cool [8-|]

Not doubting the above but.... I don't know anyone who has the above in place, (of course the safety aspects should be adhered to for any pool.) 

Perhaps take some local advice rather than just from someone who sells pools and accessories and has a vested interest in having people conform to these rather onerous standards.

Report   Reply Quote

Panda

My god are you having a joke, do you not realise what you are saying is admitting the break the law and advising other to do so as well?

What I have specified in the post above is not my fanciful moneygrubbing but rather  -the Law, according to the DDASS regulations which I have taken the time to read but you obviously have not. Anyone can read the same if they use the internet.

So if you run a Gite and also know others who do so conciously flouting the LAW and public health regulations and norms , well that is your affiar. But please keep that to yourself rather than declaring it on a public forum which shows off your blatent disregard for the Law in France and the health of your clients. These are STANDARDS, and the same throughout France, I fail to see what 'Local Advice' has got to do with it.

Andrew

Report   Reply Quote

your local DDASS office will give you a  printout of the regs they are helpful

Andrew is spot on with the DAASS regs we have had to comply to in the past.

Even if a lot of gites do not comply to the regs does not mean you can get away with not complying

Chrish

Piscine-plus.com

Gourdon 46
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Hello Andrew

I have actually read the regs and also have taken a look at the site where it lists for an area all of the 'audits' DDASS undertook in the last year.

There were 229 for the particular area, not ONE was for gites;;

En 2008, le département comptait 53 piscines permanentes, ouvertes toute l’année, et 65 piscines saisonnières, ouvertes généralement de mai à septembre, soient 229 bassins. Parmi les piscines permanentes, on trouve notamment 26 établissements traditionnels utilisés principalement pour la natation (dans un grand bassin) et 13 centres aquatiques proposant des activités ludiques (toboggans, bains bouillonnants…). Les piscines saisonnières regroupent les piscines de campings, d’hôtels, des piscines communales extérieures, des piscines de golf et de clubs privés.

I never said that what you were quoting was not true, I suggested that they should speak to someone with less of a vested interest.

I don't have a gite myself any longer but know lots of french friends with gites who do not have disabled access, toilets etc. etc. I can't wait to tell them they better get on and build some, oh how they will laugh!

We can all claim to be an expert on here, regardless of what we did in a previous life,  you are free to put yourself forward as a qualified pool expert and we are free to decide whether your information is biased or not.

I am also free to state anything I like on an internet forum as are you.

EDIT, oh yet another pool builder stating the same, thanks chrish of piscineplus.

Report   Reply Quote

Panda

I will install whatever the client askes for, but as a pool builder i am obliged to give the correct info at the time of the sale , if the client does not want to follow the regs then its up to them i would not try to sell them something they do not want.

I am in negotiation with two  Gite complexes, one wants to follow the regs and the other does not

But i gave them both the same info. i would not be doing my job if i did not.

The debateable point is when the regs come into the gite market, the way i read it is a single gite is ok but a gite complex with more than one family needs to go by the regs.

I may be wrong.

Chrish

Piscine-plus.com

Gourdon 46
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Chris

I think you are right it seems unclear as to whether it applies to gites or not and the owner should make the choice.  It would be intresting to know how many french gite complex owners adhere to these regs. 

To suggest that the same regs should apply to a pool used by two gites and a lagoon complex used by thousands seems ludicrous though to me.  They talk about being open to the public as being a reason to comply and it's the interpretation of that that is difficult.

Panda

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine