Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Senior Rail card

Hi, I will reach 60 soon and wonder if I would be entitled to the equivalent of a senior rail card or any other travel concessions here in France as a French resident?
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Senior Rail card

You can buy a Carte Senior for €56 (translation).
It allows you to buy train tickets at 25% and up to 50% off.

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

I have one and got back the initial cost in just a couple of trips.
I found it valuable as a way of going first class at busy periods; 50% of the first-class fare also reduces the difference of price!

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I believe you are also allowed a reduction simply by being 60 - without the use of a rail card.  The reductions are greater if you use a rail card.  SNCF web site has details.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

That's interesting Judith, but I haven't been able to find the details.
What I found (from the Guide to using the Téoz trains) was:

Comment les tarifs sont-ils calculés?
Pour une même destination, les tarifs varient en fonction de 4 critères:
• La classe que vous choisissez : 1ère ou 2nde.
• La date de réservation. C’est LE grand principe: plus vous réservez tôt, plus vous avez de chance de payer moins!
• Le fait que vous possédiez ou non une carte de réduction.
• Les services associés aux tarifs: comme le service d’échange et de remboursement.
C’est la prise en comptede tous ces critères qui vous permet de choisir le billet le mieux adapté à votre façon de voyager .

But it would be nice if you could point me in the right direction.
Perhaps I won't need to shell out next year.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I cannot only find info on the Carte Senior and its variation, the Carte Découverte Senior... Confused [8-)]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

It is true that if you are over 60, on certain trains, during heures creuses, you get a 25% reduction at the guichet (you might have to show proof of age). It all seems a little casual, I have never seen it written down anywhere. I was first  told about it by someone who worked for SNCF, I was able to verify it  (even though I am only 35 haha) - it made me question the necessity for a 56€ Senior card even!

Report   Reply Quote

Well, 5-e, even though you are only 35, it doesn't really matter as you don't look a day over 75, does it?Devil [6]
Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine