Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Eurotunnel Fares -v- Ferries

My wife is an exceptionally poor sailor (she threw up once on the old SeaCat while the boat was still moored in the port...) but she tried Speedferries when the cost difference with the tunnel became ridiculously high. We have not used the tunnel since.

How she deals with the trip is important. It helps if we have had a local overnight stop to avoid getting on the ferry immediately after a long car journey (she is prone to car sickness, too.). Above all, she avoids reading anything or being "trapped" in the middle of the boat - she likes to sit where she can focus on the horizon and, weather permitting, to spend some time on the outer deck. Seems to work a treat, even when we crossed last month in quite rough conditions. I think it helps that she knows it will only take about an hour.

But if EuroTunnel introduced more competitive pricing and flexibility for frequent travellers, we would probably switch back.

Report   Reply Quote

I have used Speedferries 20 or 30 times or so it seems and have never ever seen a person seasick, although I dont spend my time in the toilets - honestly officerSmile [:)]

In all that time I could only describe one crossing as a bit wobbly (again no-one I saw seemed sick), I find that if the conditions are not good there is some motion when the boat leaves the harbour before it gets up on the plane, thereafter for me it is smoother than a traditional boat. I think vomit comet is just a good but undeserved name that has stuck, I even use it myself.

The worst ever trips I have had was a 2 1/2 day journey which actually took 6 sleeping on the deck of a copra cargo boat in the South Pacific closely followed by a Transmanche ferry in difficult seas with relatively few but severely intrusive "traveller type" passengers.

Report   Reply Quote

I have used the ferries but now opt for the tunnel.

Yes, if you shop around you can go cheaper by ferry. However, as we take our dog over she would be absolutely scared stiff if she was alone on the car deck of a ferry, especially if the alarms of cars were going off during a rough crossing.

The other advantages.....

We have a 730 mile drive to our house in France. You turn off of the motorway in to the tunnel check-in, no driving through Dover and therefore reach it quicker (unless you live in Dover). It is normally a lot quieter than the ferry ports. The journey time is 35 minutes saving an hour plus the time from the tunnel turn off to the ferry port, which can be quite important on a long journey. There are no restaurants but there again you are not subjected to all the noise in the restaurants and bars on ferries, especially when coach parties are on board. The exit at Calais on to the motorway also seems easier.

As for cost. We opt for the 05:50 from the UK so no supplement. Return 20:20 from Calais and, if we arrive early are allocated an earlier crossing. This adds a supplement of £20 or £30 around bank holidays.

In my opinion an altogether better and more relaxed way of crossing and well worth any extra paid.

Paul

BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

Gadsby made the decision - so tunnel it is! (she is the dog - really doesn't like the ferry) + ferry companies will come and go - but surely we could never lose the Tunnel and Concorde!

Report   Reply Quote

Concorde from Gloucestershire to the Auvergne. There's a thought. If they included that route, it could still be in the air.

But would it be able to compete with Speedferries on price?  I for one would be willing to pay an extra tenner. 

Report   Reply Quote

cooperlola wrote:

But it's going to take a lot to make me travel by ferry again - it is not just the speed and discomfort of the actual crossings (I too get horribly seasick on both ferries and the cats) but the lugubrious customs processes - which still seem to have to be gone through at both ends of the journey. 

????????

What customs processes?  We have never (yet) been stopped by customs at UK or French end of the speedferries trip. OK, we have only done the trip half a dozen or so times so there is still time.

Report   Reply Quote

powerdesal wrote:
 cooperlola wrote:

But it's going to take a lot to make me travel by ferry again - it is not just the speed and discomfort of the actual crossings (I too get horribly seasick on both ferries and the cats) but the lugubrious customs processes - which still seem to have to be gone through at both ends of the journey. 

????????

What customs processes?  We have never (yet) been stopped by customs at UK or French end of the speedferries trip. OK, we have only done the trip half a dozen or so times so there is still time.
Well, when I go by Eurotunnel, I only get my passport etc checked at the departure side.  When I've gone by boat, this has happened on both sides of the channel, and I've had to queue both sides to be "processed."  With Eurotunnel, when I drive off the train, I'm free to go!
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote
Smile [:)]

Went over on Thursday with Number One Son as he wanted some wine; I wanted to cut the grass; and we both fancied a boy's day out and a decent lunch.

First time on Speedferries: not an auspicious choice as the Manche was a tad rough! At one point I did think the damned thing was going to tip over!

Price was excellent £23 for the return trip: 07.00AM sailing out and the 05.00 PM sailing back.

Passports were checked both ends: in the case of the return journey, twice: once by the Police aux Frontiere and then again at check in with Speedferries.

On Eurotunnel which Mrs G and I use frequently, passports are checked once only on entering the port restricted area.

UK Customs of course, in Coquelle are amalgamated with Immigration. Never been stopped.

On all ferries, I have always had to drive through the custom's shed at Dover and have rarely been stopped.

Coming back from France last year again with son on a wine shopping exercise, we were stopped strangely enough by French customs, who looked inside his Terrano with amazement at the sheer quantity of wine, laughed soundly, asked a couple of questions (we explained that some was mine but the bulk was son's annual supply!) and waved us on.

"Yes, but that apart, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine