Earning a Living

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: ICE CREAM VAN BUSINESS

There is a Dutch chap who lives in les Rosiers (49 Maine et Loire) who makes home made ice creams which he sells from his "barrow".  His ice creams ar excellent, and I make a beeline forhim when I see him !

But as far as I know, he only does it at events where they allow him to sell.  The trouble with people running events round here is that they shy away from competition, ie they won't let two hat sellers have stalls in case one does better than the other.  We have been banging our heads against this brick wall for years when organising an international carriage driving competition.....

It's the sort of question to ask at your local Mairie, or at the Prefecture/sub prefecture.

Report   Reply Quote

Most large réderies that I go to in the summerr months have one in attendance, I had a double cone chantilly Sunday for €2.50, the guy had a worse French accent than mine.

I am not so sure that French parents would give in to their childrens blackmail if the heard the bells ringing in their neighbourhood, its one thing to treat the children on holiday another every time a bell rings.

Outside the high schools or lycées would probably do well.

There is a baracque à frites that has started trading next to a lycéee proffessional, she does very well from the students and routiers but she does make the most of her unique assets.

She wears low cut tops and undersized push up bras to display to the maximum her tattoed poitrine, all her high margin lines are stored under the counter and the van is carefully leveled to ensure that it is at eye level when she bends down. She must be doing alright as she commutes to and from Lille to the van in a brand new BMW Z8 convertible..

A1 E26 junction 14 Wink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

Good evening

Big thank you to everyone it has been a fantastic response.

In brief  my thinking at the moment is to travel to Eymet in the south west of france, as i understand it has a large british community (incase there is any major unforseeable problems)and at the moment im not sure how the French public will take to the product so i will be giving away freebies to test the market, im told the French like to visualize their food before buying but that may or may not be true.

If i may i would like to ask some further questions and pick peoples brains.

Are there many British communities in France.

Is the French liaison office a good place to help start and register a business, and is the French liaison available in every town.

Is Chantilly famous for ice cream , only i am  only aware of Chantilly cream ( and it's beautiful horse racing course , love to go back there again someday it's a beautiful setting)

Report   Reply Quote

Hello arkle - you might be interested to look at this forum if you are thinking of going to Eymet  :  http://www.ledroptforum.com/ 

Last year there was a contributor on there who had a mobile fish and chip van. I think he did ok for a while, but closed down eventually.

Good luck anyway Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Don't forget that if you bring a UK reg vehicle to trade out of, you may have some difficulty in trying to register it in France and getting approval for the equipment.

Les

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:

Hello arkle - you might be interested to look at this forum if you are thinking of going to Eymet  :  http://www.ledroptforum.com/ 

Last year there was a contributor on there who had a mobile fish and chip van. I think he did ok for a while, but closed down eventually.

Good luck anyway Smile [:)]

In my opinion he failed because his food was c rap he used to come to our village once a week and I tried him quite a few times hoping the next time it would be better.  The fish was OK sometimes  but the chips were consistently bad, frozen  cheapest quality & poorly cooked.Sad [:(]

Les

Report   Reply Quote

Ice ream vans in France eh?

Arkle, this sounds to me like a home and hosed WINNER!  An odds-on success if you do it well. 

Fortunes have been made in the ice cream van business. Britsh forum members may be aware of BBC TVs "Dragon's Den" - this programme features a wealthy Scottish entrepreneur who made his first (BIG) pile of cash from ice cream vans.

Many people getting into start-small lowish tech businesses like this don't have much of a clue. Just because your competition might be ropey and frequently make a hash of it  - and go out of business - doesn't mean you wont be a success; it could even help!

The very best of luck!

Holiday and Property Guide for Nice and the Cote d'Azur
   Report   Reply Quote

Arkle
Did this business ever get off the ground?
Or if Arkle no longer posts, does anyone remember seeing this business?

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine