Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Are the ferries reducing their fares?

sweet 17 wrote:

Is it really, Russethouse?  When we lived in Taunton and our son went to school in Surrey, he always had to change at Reading.

As I remember it, we used to send his luggage in advance so that he himself only took a suitcase.  Don't remember it as being especially expensive.

Only drawback was he always went back to school on a Sunday and would have to change about 4 times and took all day to get back.  Always engineering works or some such.

Mind you Bridgend to Paddinton day return was in excess of £140 if you need to get to London before 10am.

You could probably do better but thats what the web site said, in fact in future I think nearly all fares will be substantially cheaper if they are pre booked.

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Checked crossing costs for a car and three people for October. Dover/Calais, all companies averaged about £75 - £90 return. Dover/Boulogne similar. Newhaven/Dieppe, £145. BF, Portsmouth/Caen £245. 
   Report   Reply Quote

Flight bookings must be down too, you can still get very cheap flights  for the next two weeks on a usually busy and expensive run. 

Report   Reply Quote

Just booked Norfolklines Dunkerque  - Dover for 19th to 26th Oct for €80 including fuel surcharge.

Silly timings for some perhaps, 06:00 outbound and 00.00 return, but for a silly price, both of which suit us though and also mean that we can blast straight through Paris both ways.

Report   Reply Quote

Just booked Calais/Dover & return by P&O 2-8 October for £64 return, including a £4 fuel surcharge which is clearly stated on the site. Travel times are midday/early afternoon, so no tiring night trips without food.

The shuttle was at least twice as expensive, even travelling first/last thing, and 3 times if during the middle of the day.

I see, however, that you can buy 10 shuttle trips for £390, so only £39 per crossing if you do enough trips.

Is it me, or are all the days the same?
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi all

Just to let you know what happened to us in August, I booked a retun trip Portsmouth - Le Havre with LD £149 + 20 extra for club class seats, same as we did last year, last year my car broke down so could not make the return crossing, OK they charged us £10 to alter the booking.

This year I could not make the return trip on the booked date, I needed a couple of extra days in France, so phoned them and was told

£70 to change the booking, I had no choice so went with it hoping I had heard the French girl wrong, my bank statement came in a couple of days ago they have charged me £80, I sent them a snoty email this morning asking what they were playing at to be told sorry it should have been £70 they will refund the £10, I went straight back to them and asked why £70, I was told £10 for changing the booking and £60 the differants in the return journey, so the return journey cost me £134.75, same boat same ports same time, just two days later, what a rip off, I have been back to them again, they are not interested they have an answer for every question you ask, I have told them I will not use them again.

The first email I had from them was utter rubbish the second not much better, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Colin

How can they do this, there seems to be no control over anything thses days.

Report   Reply Quote

Compo wrote:
Checked crossing costs for a car and three people for October. Dover/Calais, all companies averaged about £75 - £90 return. Dover/Boulogne similar. Newhaven/Dieppe, £145. BF, Portsmouth/Caen £245. 

Missed this first time round as we were in France, but are you surprised, given the length of the journey from Portsmouth to Caen, compared with the much shorter crossings further east?  Think how many crossings a Dover-Calais ferry can make in a day, spreading the overheads and making each journey much cheaper. Elementary arithmetic, but no-one ever seems to work it out before indulging in the usual BF-bashing. Sad [:(]

http://perpetually-in-transit.blogspot.com

Report   Reply Quote

How can they do this, there seems to be no control over anything thses days.

It looks as though they are following the T&Cs to thge letter.

Tickets are non-refundable but can be modified. Where, under the terms of an offer, an amendment is allowed, an administration fee of £10/15€ will be payable for any change to the booking (time and day of departure, itinerary, number of passengers, vehicle type, etc..). Some amendments may be subject to an extra charge due to the difference between the initial charge and the current fare at the time of the amendment. Even when the change is made to a less expensive crossing, the difference will no give right to a refund. Special offers may be subject to specific amendment fees and sales conditions.

IE They refund youir money less £10 then treat you as though you were making a new booking. Seems pretty equitable to me.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine