Pregnancy and Birth

Topic has 31 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: la Leche league

Both of my kids (both caesareans) were breast fed for 10-11 months each.  With the right choice of clothing and a good breast feeding bra (I found the ones with the zips were easier to use because you can undo and do them up with one hand unlike some clip ones) you can breast feed very discreetly anywhere, I fed them in all sorts of public places and no-one really noticed.

It is very painful for the first week, but persevere, it is the best thing I have ever done. It's hygenic, costs nothing, no faffing around with bottles, teats, sterilizers, tubs of powder, it's always just the right temperature and of course the health benefits to mother and baby goes without saying.

Report   Reply Quote

The only thing was that at night, the dad said " he's hungry, he needs his mum !! " Devil [6]
Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

True, but it depends on your circumstances.  I was fortunate to have been able to give up work when my first was born so I had the daytime to catch up on lost sleep where-as my husband was out at work from 7am to7pm in a stressful job.

Report   Reply Quote

"The only thing was that at night, the dad said " he's hungry, he needs his mum !! " "

You mean he he woke up!! My OH used to sleep through the whole night feeds/nappy changing even though I had the bedside light on! But I do agree that as he was doing physical work all day I didn't mind as I could catch up when baby was asleep - usually after lunch. This also continued with the second baby as well, but with the third I went back to part-time night duty when he was six months old and as No 3 never went through the night (not crying, wanting to play at 3.00 am Woot! [:-))] until about 18 months old OH used to have to get up to him Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

I'm not sure you'll believe me but my OH worked 120 hours /week in those days- and he was away 1 night in 2- so there wasn;t much choice.! By I agree with you Lileoise, I am so glad I did it. La Leche do a fantastic job of supporting mums.

Report   Reply Quote

breastfeeding in public

I read an interesting article in the Depeche , Gers edition. There is to be a public "feedin" with mothers and babies, in Gimont, to promote breastfeeding. Evidently fewer and fewer women are prepared to try it now. One reason given, it excludes fathers from the parent-child bond Blink [blink]

I wonder if this would be allowed in the UK? Or considered in contravention of health and safety rules? The french seem to have a more pragmatic attitude to physical matters.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: breastfeeding in public

I saw one on the regional FR3 news tonight, there were about 50 mothers gathered for a photo shoot at Lille to promote the national allaitement campaign.

Mind you some of the babies on the receiving end looked a bit old, one must have been at least 14 years old!

Report   Reply Quote

Re: breastfeeding in public

Toy boys starting young? Or just the old country habit of continuing to breast feed late.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine