Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 18 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Car Hire from Hertz

I  claimed for two damaged tyres from insurance for car hire.€ 180 euros. They were superb and paid up on receipt of bills.We have used them now for a few years and have saved a fortune not paying the daily charges from car hire companies. Not all hire agreements cover tyres and windscreens.
   Report   Reply Quote

Kathy

Many thanks. I'll give Insurance4Carhire a try once more.

Peter

Sue
   Report   Reply Quote

Me too, similar situation to Kathy, cannot fault them.
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Would not touch Hertz with a bargepole.

Charged us over 600 pounds for a weeks car hire from Beauvais airport ,small group A car.back in 2001/02. I complained by letter that they had overcharged us by over 400 pounds but got a standard letter back saying we had been charged the correct amount, tried phoning got the same, asked for a supervisor got the same.

I realised at this point what had happened, it was the changeover from Francs to Euros and someone obviously had thought that the insurance element was too low so had  multiplied the weekly rate by 7, thinking the rate was the daily rate.

I eventually had to sent a lawyers letter to sort it out but never even got an apology

Oh, how fine it is to know a thing or two.

Moliere

Report   Reply Quote

Update on last hire.

I used Holiday Autos for my booking for a car at Marseille airport and the supplier was National/Citer. At the desk they indicated that there were scratches on the front and rear bumpers - anyone seen a car in France without such damage!!! - no problem.

When I checked the car not only were the wheel trims also damaged from scuffing the kerb but the roof was covered with large dents! Funny that they had not noticed that! I wonder how many people have paid for that damage so far! I made them note it all on the hire form.

As I said before, check everything and trust no-one.

Andy

Report   Reply Quote

Andy, I don't think that is unusual for that company. One time with them, out of Poitiers, the whole front bumper was held on with gaffa tape and other things did not work. I refused the car and insisted on a replacement. cost me an hour waiting at the airport. Have not used them since, cannot justify a small saving with the inconvience.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Out of choice, neither would I, but the problem is when booking with an agent like Holiday Autos you don't really have much choice.

Some time ago you could e mail them to request a particular supplier after you had booked but even that seems to have died off. I know that they do not use Hertz at Toulon - probably as they get cheaper rates from the others.

The only alternative is to book direct with the supplier and I will often do that if the price difference is not too huge.

Andy

Report   Reply Quote

Hi Andy, recently I have been using Expedia, they let you see who the company is and have had a couple of real bargains. I wanted a larger vehicle to do a decheterie run, got a renault kangoo for the same price as a small car.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine