Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Motor Rail - Best Time To Book (Calais To Narbonne one way)

Sid just thought I would clarify what I was trying to say. I believe the quality of the rolling stock going from Calais say to Italy or from say Brussels is different to those used in France. I have travelled so called first class from Calais to Nice to Avignon to Brive to Narbonne and we have had the compartment to ourselves. Privacy is one thing but the facilities are basic Hidi Hi in my opinion. Used the routes many times when I was younger and it was good but now would not touch it. Fine going through Lyon down the Rhone arriving at Avignon breakfast outside but seriously a huge amount of £ is needed to upgrade the rolling stock.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hello dr

I understand what you're saying, I thought I should point out that not everyone finds it a bad experience. We were warned about temperatures, noise, being jolted awake, lack of restaurant car etc but found it was brilliant. Maybe if you go expecting the worst then the reality is better!

I would always pay the extra for a private cabin (T2 ... there a two types, "upper" and "lower", we preferred the "upper"). There is a washbasin in the cabin, but the toilet is at the end of the corridor. On our train there was breakfast served in the restaurant car. I can't tell you how magnificent it was to see the mountain streams of the Alps as we emerged from the tunnel at 7am in the morning!

We used Railsavers for the motorbike trip; I don't know if Alison is still with the company but she is a biker and was able to give us loads of relevant tips.

Bon voyage

Sid

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

Sid it was fun for the first two or three journeys but after that it was hard going. But I know what you mean.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine