Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Senior Rail card

5-element (even though I am only 35 haha)

Those of us who are older, were, believe it or not, once 35 as well...

The difference now is that we have made it to 60 or whatever age we are. You have yet to prove you can get there - and believe me, there are a heck of a lot of hurdles and pitfalls to deal with on the way. So don't be too smug too soon!

Report   Reply Quote

Very sorry Mel - I thought it was only too obvious that I was joking. It never occurred to me that anyone could take my "being 35" literally.
I have been 35,  maybe as long ago as you! And given the hurdles, pitfalls and tragedies, almost every day I am bewildered to see that I have made it far enough to qualify for my senior railcard. Yet, here it is, in front of me, and I haven't had to tell fibs about my age!Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Oops! And sorry to you too, I failed to see the humour...

And believe it or not, my age does not bother me in the slightest, I just thought you were a precocious youth taking the Michael!

Report   Reply Quote

I wish I was that precocious youth, Mel. If I was, I hope I would be wise enough not to take the Michael or to feel any smugness about being whatever age. Of all things to be smug about, that seems to be one of the most fallacious, either being smug for being young, or being smug for being ancient. It's not after all, anything to do with one's achievement or intrinsic personal value, just another accident of birth!

Report   Reply Quote

I seem to remember that if you book  train tickets online, there is a box to tick for any travellers over 60, you may need to prove your age, to the ticket collector/guard on the train.

Les

Report   Reply Quote

gosub wrote:
I seem to remember that if you book  train tickets online, there is a box to tick for any travellers over 60, you may need to prove your age, to the ticket collector/guard on the train.

There is indeed, I have been waiting for that day to arrive - not long now!! 

NormanH - I think I read it some time ago, in one of the leaflets I habitually gather when I am waiting at stations.  Bit busy at the mo - visitors - but when  I've a little more time, I'll see what I can find out as it will be useful for me too in less than a month's time !!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

I travelled by rail a couple of months ago (castres to toulouse) and booked by the ticket machine immediately before I travelled, there was an entry to make which gave a 25% discount for over 60's.It is then for the ticket inspector to ask for proof of age if he feels it necessary.
   Report   Reply Quote

stu8 wrote:
I travelled by rail a couple of months ago (castres to toulouse) and booked by the ticket machine immediately before I travelled, there was an entry to make which gave a 25% discount for over 60's.It is then for the ticket inspector to ask for proof of age if he feels it necessary.

But if the inspector has to ask for proof of age, it's because one doesn't look it, n'est ce pasWhistles [Www]

If there's no wind, row
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine