French Language

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: What's the easiest way to Learn French?

Kenesha wrote:
I am interested in learning how to speak French, I have a few audio recordings but I find that after the first 15 minutes I stop listening.
Do you think it is best to learn the language with someone or what is the best learning software or audio that you would recommend that I try?
Thanks in advance.

Kenesha

Audio recordings are like listening to the radio, after a while it just becomes an auditive blur. Whilst learning french et al by direct one on one conversation is an essential factor in attaining fluency; it has the distinct disadvantage of being unstructured and will do little to develop the equally essential gramatical and syntactical skills. I would recommend that you obtain a french course which includes one or several CD-roms; these installed on your computer will impose by their exercises your participation and concentration, reinforcing your rate of linguistic acquisition. Some of the better courses include software with voice recognition permitting you to engage in pseudo conversations and practise your pronunciation.

There are courses on line including participative exercises the University of Hong Kong and the University of Texas are good examples.

Report   Reply Quote

Here is a link to the Site Map for Introductory French at the University of  Texas at Austin.

There is a lot of info in both audio and video format and downloads can be made in MP3 or PDF files; you will need Quick Time installed; a common feature with academic material.

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/html/toc/map.html

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations.
Kenesha

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Kenesha, welcome to the forum. I do hope you weren't offended by some of our joky comments- and I wish you Bonne Chance. How long have you been studying French? And have you been to France?    Meilleures salutations   Odile

Report   Reply Quote

Was in a rerstaurant a little while back and there was a couple with two children. The man spoke in French and the woman in English.

I thought this was great for the kids as they knew which language was which from who was speaking.

Back to the subject - I have found CDs etc difficult to concentrate on. Did try evening classes. Frist year had a great techer but the second she was totally and utterly useless. Our Dutch neighbours in France, who live there permanently had excellent English but no French to start with. One of them has gone for classes and their Ferench is now very good - no doubt by actually being where it is spoken.

Paul

It is undemocratic to ask the people if a negotiated deal is what they want.

Then how can it be democratic to ask MPs for a third time if what they do not want is what they want?
   Report   Reply Quote

The question IS a bit misleading, though. In short, there probably isn't ANY "easy" way to learn another language. If there was, we'd all be multilingual!! It's also a very individual thing. Some people prefer to learn by speaking, listening and making mistakes/being corrected, some like to learn from books, reading and studying grammar, writing things down....In reality, even if you prefer one or the other, you'll almost certainly end up having to do both.

It all depends on your personal learning style and preferences. One thing is for certain. It's like finding an "easy" way to lose weight. There isn't one (that works). It requires self-discipline and quite a lot of hard work.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Kenesha wrote:
I am interested in learning how to speak French, I have a few audio recordings but I find that after the first 15 minutes I stop listening.

Kenesha

I find that if I listen to, say, the radio, for more than 15 minutes, I too "turn off".  Likewise, with French conversation around a table.

A French friend told me that repetition is the best way - so she recommended listening to a [web] TV/ radio broadcast, and then repeat it, several times.

So rather than trying to take in a "whole" recording at once, perhaps it is best to do one of the exercises (or whatever it is you are listening to) and then repeat it. 

One year, when I was still in the UK, before I came over for holidays I would put on one of the language learning tapes I had, or put French radio on, but after a little while, I'd get on with something else, but leave the tape or the radio running.  You do not, as such, "hear" the words or even understand them, but the rhythm of French seems to get into your mind set and I always began to think and talk to myself in French as I moved around once I'd done that.

If you are in France, get out and listen and talk (ie do the best you can), if not leave the radio on in the background (France Inter was a good one and can be received in the south of England) - but also the web radios these days give you much more choice.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Hi, I have just finished an Open University Course (Intermediate), but they have a Beginners' Course - I think it's called French Portal, and they also have week long courses in Caen (and other places I believe). The beauty of these courses for me is that although expensive you learn to a pace, with assessments to make sure
you keep on track. And of course, finally, the points awarded can be put towards undergraduate studies etc.
Now we're retired, how the heck did we have time to hold down jobs as well?
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine