Earning a Living

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A glimmer of hope?

misplacedperson wrote:
On the other hand, Mr M landed a job as assistant chef this summer (no catering qualifications, previous kitchen experience limited to plonge jobs as a student) and has been taken on for the winter season as well.

As someone who's had to eat the cr*p served up in many alpine establishments I cant say I'm surprised!!  The rules of employment seem to get bent out of shape in the Alps, it was the only place I ever managed to secure 'proper' french employment, OH too, we had no experience but as the work is so seasonal the french are not that keen, most jobs are filled by imported talent dont you find?

Report   Reply Quote

There is a system called VAE ( Validation des Aquis de l 'Expérience) , I ve been a member of the jury for years in my school.

The candidates are people who have  experience but not the degree that would entitle them to a higher salary ( stupid I know but that's how it is). The candidates have about 20 minutes to convince the jury that they have all the skills required for that type of job, and the jury decides to " give" them the degree or not. (  they don't have to take the exam .)

Dunno if that may be of any help.  

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Can you convince the othet jurors to swing a teaching job for me Regine? Wink [;-)]

Sounds like a good idea for professions like teaching where I think we all agree that people should be trained and qualified to get into but some may bring real life experience like leadership to the job as well as their qualifications

I saw on the news that this years new intake of teachers are to hit the ground running and will go straight into the classrooms unassisted, green as it were, that must be a baptism of fire in some of the schools dont you think?

Report   Reply Quote

I don't have time right now Chancer, but I will PM you today and give you some hints. Smile [:)]

" I saw on the news that this years new intake of teachers are to hit the ground running and will go straight into the classrooms unassisted, green as it were, that must be a baptism of fire in some of the schools dont you think? "

That's for sure, it's n'importe quoi...  But unfortunately for them, that's how it is going to be .............

Good heavens, I don't know how they will cope with up to 36 pair of eyes watching them on day 1, ready to find " the fault" .........

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

The CE is more or less a union as they look after the workers rights and perks.  It is compulsory to have one if you have over 50 (I think) employees.  If you have disciplinary action etc you can have a member of the CE accompany you, they also meet up with the HR dept and the management every month to grill them on what is gong on in the company.
And they give us teh magnificent sum of 30 euros twice a year in gift vouchers.Stick out tongue [:P]

www.burgundymadeeasy.com
   Report   Reply Quote

"The rules of employment seem to get bent out of shape in the Alps, it was the only place I ever managed to secure 'proper' french employment, OH too, we had no experience but as the work is so seasonal the french are not that keen, most jobs are filled by imported talent dont you find?"

Erm, no. I can only think of  half a dozen foreign employees of French companies here, to be honest. And it's not that the 'rules of employment' get bent, it's the fact that a) there is lots of work in ski resorts over the winter and b) employers want English speakers.

http://misplacedperson.wordpress.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

Frenchie wrote:

There is a system called VAE ( Validation des Aquis de l 'Expérience) , I ve been a member of the jury for years in my school.

The candidates are people who have  experience but not the degree that would entitle them to a higher salary ( stupid I know but that's how it is). The candidates have about 20 minutes to convince the jury that they have all the skills required for that type of job, and the jury decides to " give" them the degree or not. (  they don't have to take the exam .)

Dunno if that may be of any help.  

Joy SpJoy Springring

Report   Reply Quote

Frenchie wrote:

I don't have time right now Chancer, but I will PM you today and give you some hints. Smile [:)]

" I saw on the news that this years new intake of teachers are to hit the ground running and will go straight into the classrooms unassisted, green as it were, that must be a baptism of fire in some of the schools dont you think? "

That's for sure, it's n'importe quoi...  But unfortunately for them, that's how it is going to be .............

Good heavens, I don't know how they will cope with up to 36 pair of eyes watching them on day 1, ready to find " the fault" .........

Oooops ...... I theenk sumsing went a bit wrong ...

Hi Frenchie,

That is very useful info, many thanks Ma'am !

Hope you settled down very well in BsN?

Cheers from Ernie

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine