Earning a Living

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: god idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

In my opinion (and experience) 14 is too old to move a child to France
   Report   Reply Quote

If you want to do it because you want a change of lifestyle then do it... it sounds a hell of a task.

Not sure that financial reasons would suffice.

Report   Reply Quote

Welcome to the Forum.

There are lots of threads that you can read on this Forum about your proposed adventure.  In particular, you should work your way through several of the posts on the Education Forum about schools in France.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/206/ShowForum.aspx

Your best bet is to think about renting in France for 3 months or more, putting your children into a school for one term or more, and seeing what you and your children think.  Winter rents in France are relatively low, especially if you are prepared to move out before June (when the holiday season starts).   That is how I started off in France, finding a winter let and school places.  My children, some of whom were the ages of yours, enjoyed the experience and so we bought a house.

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

We brought our 14 yr old over in 2003. It WAS hard for her to start with, BUT she had a thorough grounding in English which was invaluable and she spent last summer working full time as a bi-lingual receptionist. I'd suggest getting out while you can!
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
Had you thought of opening a "ferme-auberge" (restaurant attached to a farm, and serving much of its produce), with your culinary skills? I have no idea if they make money, but I have eaten at a few long-established ones in the Vendee.

Likewise we have a few in Charente, and great places to eat, usually v busy. in fact chatting to the english owner of one locally who had run the farm for a few years, they were looking, in his words 'to make some sensible money' and he told us that it was the local Mairie who encouraged and supported them to obtain grants to convert the original barn into a restaurant in return for which they have to run the restaurant for 5 years, using farm and local produce.

http://villebois.blogs.sudouest.fr/archive/2010/09/07/une-ferme-auberge-a-chavenat.html

http://www.bienvenue-a-la-ferme.com/charente/ferme-auberge/liste-fermes-2653

the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

britoninbretagne, what on earth are you on about, 'get out while you can?'

After 27 years in France I moved back to the UK 2.5 years ago and frankly I just think, what a strange thing to say, there is no rational to it, and it is sounds rather like scare mongering and why would you say it anyway.

I'm glad that your daughter did well, don't think I am not, but lots do not. Could we please compare, exactly what do you call decent or good though. As a bright student she would be finishing her degree or maybe doing her masters, depending on her month of birth, if you had stayed in the UK. I'd also like to know where she got such a thorough grounding in English? I cannot remember seeing anyone say that before.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Good idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

idun wrote:
britoninbretagne, what on earth are you on about, 'get out while you can?' After 27 years in France I moved back to the UK 2.5 years ago and frankly I just think, what a strange thing to say, there is no rational to it, and it is sounds rather like scare mongering and why would you say it anyway.

I can understand what BritoninBretagne is saying.  It's a version of 'follow your dream', which isn't scare mongering.  Just because living in France wasn't right for some, it doesn't mean that it won't be all right for others.  Yes, it's good to exercise caution.  But we all tend to do that anyway, which is why the original poster started this thread.

Welcome to the Forum, BinB by the way.

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Good idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

Cathy he didn't say, 'follow your dream', or even 'go for it' though did he, he said 'get out', quite different.

Apart from the education I was quite fine in France, I was there long enough and moved there many many years before it was fashionable. Had to learn everything the hard way, we didn't even have a phone for the first three and a half years. There was no WWW either.

When I mention education, I have to say that I am one of those people who isn't just 'interested' in her own, but was too often distressed and disturbed by what was happening to other kids. So many, bright or bright enough, who are now unemployed or in dead end jobs (or just dead, but we won't go down that road hein!) or simply underachieved, not enough self esteem to try for something as adults. And just who does go back to get good qualifications as an adult in France, of ALL the people I know and being gobby and friendly I know a lot and I only know of three and that is it.

I could go on for hours and hours with examples, but who would read that. I would say that I only encountered a very few excellent teachers, say around 10% and they were wonderful brilliant stars and frankly they were not usually liked by their colleagues. Too interested in the kids and how they were doing apparently. How you change it all, I do not know, wish I did.

Even at an international lycee not too far from us the kids prefered the 'english' teachers to the french ones. Lessons more interesting, made them want to learn and that from french parents and some english speakers too, who have told me that.

Maternelle is great. That is a marvel and seems to have been done right, right from the start.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine