Earning a Living

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Piano Teaching - Autoentreprenuer or CESU?

Perhaps I didnt write it very clear. When I am working in their home I will be employed by them and will receive payment under CESU> When I have group lessons at home that will be my business under the AE scheme. As far as I am aware there is no reason not to do this, however I have a meeting this week with the guy who is responsible for promoting AE in this area so I will clarify with him.
   Report   Reply Quote

Lollie, Lovely to hear from someone who is currently teaching. Would love to hear about how you built up your practice and how long you have been doing this in France? Are most of your students French or English?

Also, from your experience, what would you suggest as an appropriate hourly rate for teaching in my own home in the Lot et Garonne? As I said in my first posting, I have a lot of experience and teach all levels. I am a univ. graduate (maths not music), but have a Licentiate with the Royal Schools of Music in both performance and teaching, as well as Associate Diplomas in performance and teaching with ABRSM and the London College of Music.

On a further note, I belong to several piano circles here in Surrey where adult students and teachers get together, some monthly, others bi-monthly to perform for one another. Do you belong to a group like that or have you heard of people doing that? It's a great way of keep students focused and keep oneself motiviated and on your toes...or should I say fingers. Also great for people who play and aren't having lessons, but like the stimulus of meeting other like minded pianists.

Very keen to hear about your discussion with the AE man too. Thank you very much!

RB
   Report   Reply Quote

Hello RB

Sorry I can't help with the business side of things but I hope the following might be useful.

Before you start teaching music to the French, it might be an idea (forgive me if you're already au fait with all this) to buy a dictionary of French musical terms/ solfège etc.  Donkey's years ago I gained an English degree in music, with singing as my speciality so I was thrilled to discover a choir in a nearby town when I moved to France and rather naively thought it would be a doddle.  Reading the notes was no problem but I was completely unprepared for talking in solfège and not C,D, E etc.  Also the terms for notation, flats, sharps etc all took some getting used to.  Anyone with musical ability will be welcomed with open arms but they will simply assume you can instantly converse in French musical language. Forewarned is forearmed!

Bon courage - I hope it all works out for you.  I now take the odd (and I do mean odd!!) choir practice when the choirmaster is away and I still struggle with some of the less well known terms but between us we get by and have a lot of fun.

Janet

Report   Reply Quote

Hi RB

I am attending a one day course for setting up as an AE next week, will email you afterwards. If you have any questions I can raise them next week ?

I used posters in shops initially to set up and its going well. December was quiet but I am hoping to see an increase after January.
   Report   Reply Quote

Greetings Lollie, How did you get on with the course? Was it very helpful and will you be using the AE in the future?

RB
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi

I attended my course last Friday. It was actually a session for creating an enterprise, so it was a mixed bag of people, AE, new start ups and people taking over existing business. As I expected here in France, the formator did all the talking and few questions were asked! In fact he started with, directed at me, I dont speak English so he you struggle to understand feel free to leave at any time!!!. Then he told us that we should all respect each others ideas and not ridicule anyone, but when he asked someone ideally when they wanted to be up and running and they answered tomorrow, he ridiculed them, he told us to be served coffee at the the break was a revolution at the pole-emploi and how lucky we were, and finally towards the end he said he recognised we would probably all be tired now after listening to him but we should think about how tiring it is for him standing in front of us and talking for 4 hours!!!!! I did get some useful information from it, and I will go ahead, I can get one to one help from my pole emploi conseillor and financial aide is available, basically you can choose if you want to take your chommage in a lump sum or not, thats for those on chommage, as was the case at this session. Here is a very useful website that he went through.

www.acpe.com from here you can get links to other useful sites to help you along the process. He did warn us at the end, about the company that contacts you after set up offering to put you in various directorys for a one off fee, this is a scam.

Si I will continue with my work through CESU and set up as an AE for work outside of the CESU rules.
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry, typing error

www.apce.com
   Report   Reply Quote

I live in South West France - Dept 19 near Argentat and I'm trying to find a piano teacher, do you know of any in the area at all?

Thank you
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine