French Language

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Another French test

You can call me Betty wrote:
I'm puzzled by the marking system. I came out with 87.5.....Confused [8-)]

Why does that puzzle you? Devil [6]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Interesting but difficult.
But it made me realise my weak points (many) eg I thought the participle had to agree with the subject and it should be the object.
Also like someone else they've invented some new tenses since I was at school, and since our dictionary was printed (2000)

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, Chancer.  I enjoyed that.

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

So did I. Smile [:)] Got 79.5 and would have got a few more if I hadn't been in a hurry and so didn't check. At least two were marked wrong because I omitted accents on other words, though the grammatical answers were right. Like others, my tenses were my weakest area, particularly since I didn't recognise a couple of the French terms for tenses. Must try the seciond level when I have more time.
http://perpetually-in-transit.blogspot.com

Report   Reply Quote

trastu wrote:
. I also got the question about the male chicken wrong!!!!!

Me too!

"Un poul",  what a coq! Big Smile [:D]

I made another error in that section that I really should not have done, I guess I was concentrating on changing the form of the feminin noun and didnt stop to ask myself what do I call the masculin version.

Report   Reply Quote

71.5 so I was Coq a Hoop as I only had a few phrases when I came here to live just over 3 years ago.

Also, not so pleased that some were spelling mistakes, like "cassette" which was in the question and I didn't manage to COPY the word!Blush [:$]

I think my progress, such as it is, must have something to do with my reading a fair few books.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

That was another point I lost for writing K7 Wink [;-)]

My progress such that it is was gained on the pillow over a 15 month period and from the television since then, on a daily basis I never see anybody so never have any conversations.

There is an English guy lives not far from me, came over at about the same time as me and whist perhaps speaking more French than me initially he was well behind after a year or so thanks to my total immersion, a neighbour of mine spoke to him at a rédérie and said that it was very hard, he only had a few words of French and he wasnt able to chat like me. I was surprised because I knew he was working with French people albeit he tended to be landed with the British tourists.

Last night on Fr3 Picardie they did an article on a village that has been evacuated as someone found 30 tons of WW1 munitions while digging their garden, to my delight they interviewed this British guy as it is his speciality, he spoke confidently and in faultless French unlike 99% of the French that are interviewed and many presenters who cannot speak for more than 3 seconds without adding an affected "euuhhh".

Chapeau to you sir if you are reading this Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Chance, I have found that many people who learned French at Grammar School and can read and write it seem to have a problem speaking it.

So, I am sure that I'd rather be able to speak it, as you obviously can, and have a wide vocabulary than to be grammatically correct.

When I came, our own Clair told me not to aim for perfection but just to get on and speak!  As that was already my inclination, it was no problem gabbling away in ungrammatical and incorrect French.

As for the accent, I just try and ape the locals!Stick out tongue [:P]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine