French Language

Topic has 48 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Working all day..

Chancer wrote:

So can the present participle of travailler "travaillant" ever be used in written or spoken French?

If so can you give me an example please.

Passant par Paris, vidant la bouteille    (bis)
Un de mes amis, me dit à l'oreille .....

Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

So can the present participle of travailler "travaillant" ever be used in written or spoken French?

Yes. Example: "Je chante en travaillant".

or

"En travaillant toute la journée, je suis fatigué(e) le soir."

As you can see, it is used with "en".

Report   Reply Quote

That is how I would naturaly have used it, preceded by en, so I had to re-read the first few posts.

It will be difficult for me also to unlearn myself!

Report   Reply Quote

5-element wrote:
 Chancer wrote:

Yes. Example: "Je chante en travaillant".

or

"En travaillant toute la journée, je suis fatigué(e) le soir."

As you can see, it is used with "en".

Gérondif!

Was that the question?

Report   Reply Quote

Well, no, it wasn't the question, and that's the problem.

"Whistling whilst working" - two things going on at the same time - is, as you say, the gerondif (a gerund in English.)

But -" I spent the day working" isn't.  That's where I go wrong (don't know about Chrissie).  It comes out as "je passait la journée en travaillant" where it should be à travailler, as Clair said.  Maybe one can see how it's possible to confuse the two?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:
Yes.

"Working in the garden, I was thinking about Tuesday's meeting."
"Knowing that she was already on the way, I wanted to finish quickly."

You would use the present participle form here for "working" and "knowing", although I think it would usually be preceded by "en" or even "tout en":

En travaillant dans le jardin, je pensais ...
Tout en sachant qu'elle était déja en route, je voulais ...

I'm not quite sure how to distinguish these from Chrissie's example.  Maybe Clair can help.

Report   Reply Quote

Perhaps it's all to do with the french being terribly accurate about the timing of all tenses.

It seems from the above posts that "en travaillant" can only be used if it is a simultaneous action, so if you can say "whilst working in the garden I whistled", it would be OK, but similarly "I spent all day whilst working" would be nonsense.........

Hope this is right!!

Chrissie (81)

Report   Reply Quote

The examples you cite, Alan, are gerondif (two things happening at the same time).

Passing the time by doing something,  avoiding doing something by doing something else etc etc, take the infinitive in French.Woot! [:-))]  But I just can't help using the first by default.  You can take the woman out of England , but you can't take the English out of the woman!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine