Earning a Living

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: UK Graphic artist in France...What are the legal requirements?

I followed BAF's link and found the info below. It doesn't sound like the OP's circumstances. I believe that 'carried out' means just that -- you physically do the work in the UK -- and not that you deliver to UK clients.

EEA nationals: going to work in another EEA country or Switzerland for a period not expected to exceed 24 months

There are special rules for workers who go to another EEA country or Switzerland to work there for a maximum of 24 months. These rules are mainly contained in European Community Regulations 883/2004, 987/2009 and Decision No A2 of the Administrative Commission of the European Communities on Social Security for Migrant Workers. These rules operate from 1 May 2010 but if you will still be away after 1 May 2010 you can apply now.

Under these rules a person who is normally self-employed in the UK, who pursues a similar activity in another Member State continues to be subject to UK contributions legislation only, for up to 24 months, providing the work abroad is not expected to last more than 24 months at the outset.

Certain other conditions have to be met. The main ones are that the person has to:

• habitually carry out substantial activities in the UK
  • pursue the self-employed activity in the UK (generally for at least two months) before going abroad
  • maintain the means in the UK to carry out the self-employment when they return

Examples of maintaining the means to carry on the self-employment could be retaining the use of office space or the infrastructure needed to pursue activity on return such as paying social security contributions and taxes, having a VAT number and registration with the chamber of commerce or professional bodies. This is only intended to serve as a guide, given that different types of work and professions will produce different indicators.

We are also likely to ask you for details of contracts and work carried on in the UK and those contracts carried on abroad to consider whether you habitually carry on substantial activities in the UK. If less than 25 per cent of turnover or contracts are carried on in the UK, then we would not usually consider that substantial.

Albert the InfoGipsy

"So welcome to the Citadel where the question is 'Am I?'"
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, I spent almost two years working almost entirely in France on a self-employed basis for my existing (and a couple of new) English clients under the E101 form before registering a French business. I certainly fulfilled the necessary conditions then, and as it sounds as if the OP may be in a similar position I suggested he looked at that option.

From Albert's post above it doesn't sound as if the conditions have changed that much in the intervening years, except for the vaguely worded advice about continuing 25% of activities in UK (which was previously even more vague - as I averaged about 5 working days away from France each month I just about met that condition anyway). And the 12 months limit of validity of the form seems now to have increased to 'up to 24 months'.

The advice was for the OP to investigate whether he would be considered eligible, rather than a statement that he could get an E101 type form.
Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks very much for all these comments and words of wisdom. I'm now going to go through them in more detail and follow links etc.

Cheers.

Report   Reply Quote

Hi there - you should check out La Maison des Artistes which is a special régime for artists: http://www.lamaisondesartistes.fr/

My husband will be registered as from this month as a storyboard/animatic artist and will pay only 5,5% TVA instead of 19,6%. I'm still learning myself all the implications but all the artist/graphic designer friends we have are with this organisation. And there is no upper limit to earnings as there is with AE.

Report   Reply Quote

As a person who once made a living in graphic design...

First find your paying clients, if you have these - the rest is mere bagatelle...
Gus
www.relax-in-france.com
   Report   Reply Quote

Frankly we have found that any occupation with the word 'artist' in it causes all sorts of problems when it comes to insurances, loans etc, but that is in the UK, it might just be worth checking the situation in France. We stick to 'pre press preparation' or some such.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine