French Language

Topic has 33 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Has your English spelling gone to pot?

That's just me too, Suej! No problems with spelling - as long as I can remember the word! I'm also always asking OH for the word for a.................and describe it minutely for him to guess and tell me the English word. If he knows the French word for it, that's a shortcut; but trying to do a version of that game where you say it's a book, film, whateverand try to mime/fudge for him to guess is dreadful!  Smile [:)]

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

A British plumber called round last evening to quote for a job and I found I had forgotten the English for handbasin, quote, pipe ......... He was very tolerent.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

gardengirl wrote:
That's just me too,  I'm also always asking OH for the word for a.................and describe it minutely for him to guess and tell me the English word. If he knows the French word for it, that's a shortcut; but trying to do a version of that game where you say it's a book, film, whateverand try to mime/fudge for him to guess is dreadful!  Smile [:)]

Someone ought to invent a tv game for folks like us Gardengirl, probably the only thing we'd ever win...

Incidentally, if it's not a rude question , what were you doing up and about at 4.50- Dictionary Search???

Report   Reply Quote

AnOther wrote:

At school I was always near or at the top of the class in English and spelling but these days even some simple words have me thinking 'have have I spelt that correctly' Sad [:(]

That's bad Ern when a 4 letter word defeats you.

John

Report   Reply Quote

Iceni wrote:
 AnOther wrote:
At school I was always near or at the top of the class in English and spelling but these days even some simple words have me thinking 'have have I spelt that correctly' Sad [:(]

That's bad Ern when a 4 letter word defeats you.
John

And a royal stutter too!

While I'm still coming at this from the other side, but I don't understand the problem since as Alexander Dumas reputedly quipped, ‘English is just French, badly pronounced’

!bassin de main  = Hand basin?

the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

Told you I woz lewsing it, stutter is mabe coz I watched unowhose Speech the other nite - shhhhhh. Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

JJ, I wish you hadn't said anything about pronunciation because I now have a problem with that as well!  Yes, especially when the word is French in origin such as garage, liqueur, jus (yes, watching too many cookery programmes), cause celebre, etc.

Am having to pause and think about which language I am speaking in ...........  I feel a right idiot (there another word that could be French or English, LOL)

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:
JJ, I wish you hadn't said anything about pronunciation because I now have a problem with that as well!  Yes, especially when the word is French in origin such as garage, liqueur, jus (yes, watching too many cookery programmes), cause celebre, etc.

Am having to pause and think about which language I am speaking in ...........  I feel a right idiot (there another word that could be French or English, LOL)

Dahhlink, don'cha'know, it's ab-b-s-o-lutely de rigueur to use french pronunciation when using french phrases . . .  mange tout eh sweetsDevil [6]

the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine