Earning a Living

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Enreprise Individuelle - is there a better way for us?

We're stuck with the Entreprise Individuelle for the rest of this fiscal year and we might as well stay with these accountants since we've already started sending our expenses to them. After that we'll be an Auto Entrepreneur and we won't need an accountant.  I agree, you would expect an Expert Comptable to know his stuff as they charge 1000 euros per year, but I'd definitely say to anyone who's thinking of employing an accountant (compulsory, I believe, if you are on the Entreprise Individuelle or Benefice Réel), to get a recommendation from someone in a similar business if possible.  It was my hairdresser who recommended this company and I don't think they have ever had anyone with a "Board and Lodgings + workshops" based business.

As for recourse, no way.  He's still telling us that we are better off on the exsisting scheme as we can deduct our expenses.  However, we have to fight to be allowed to claim anything other than the basics. One example I fought and won, was provisions for the swimming pool, which we've no time to use ourselves as we're too busy with guests. As for the old caravan we bought solely so we could give up our own room to guests during the season, (it's never moved since the day we bought it and I don't think it could), - we were told that there's no way the authorities would allow us to claim for that as it would be counted as personal. It was early days and although we shouldn't have, we accepted that, but I wish I had thought of asking him if that meant that the income for the room we are vacating is also personal.  We're deducting everything we can possibly think of now - we're going on a city break for a few days in connection with the business where my OH will be honing his professional skills and  researching a book he's planning to write.  I mentioned to the secretary that I would be sending in the hotel and air ticket costs and she looked horrified.  "Mais non, c'est personelle" she said. I'll make a stand, when the crunch time comes.   Another bugbear is that we have to eat regularly in restaurants with the guests (we go to the same places every week and get sick of it) yet we cannot claim for our own meals.  I'm sure eating out with clients in the UK is a legitimate deductible business expense.  

We never had an accountant in UK but I always thought they suggested ways to save you money instead of finding ways to stop you claiming. 

Well, that's my whinge for the day.  We love living in France and even with this struggle, we wouldn't swap.  I hope others can benefit from our experience.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine