French Language

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Coucou

Coucou is used by various French friends in emails or when attracting someone's attention if out and about. I rather like it, use it myself when I see someone I know across the way and sometimes in emails.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

My french neighbour has in the last fortnight got herself a pc and connection to orange. Everyday I get several test emails with the title coucou so I've been replying using coucou. I think before long she'll have driven my cuckoo !!

Chris
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” Anatole France
   Report   Reply Quote

Our immediate neighbour stands at our gate and shouts coucou when she wants to attract our attention.
   Report   Reply Quote

Today I mentioned the word coucou to a French woman who has been living in UK for many, many years. She said it was a word that only children used to one another. Looks as if it's been hi-jacked. I have now (rather self-consciously) used it in an email.

Report   Reply Quote

I use it all the time, on the phone, in e mails, in life, it is not reserved to children at all, but you wouldn't use it when talking to your boss or the Maire or whoever you 're not familiar with .
Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

My mother uses "Coucou" when she calls....Coucou c'est moi.....
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

When I call to see someone locally I first knock and as no-one seems to hear I call "Yoohoo" which I think is the english equivalant of "Coucou". They usually respond to that.

Report   Reply Quote

ericd wrote:
My mother uses "Coucou" when she calls....Coucou c'est moi.....

So does mine !

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine