Earning a Living

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Teaching English (CELTA) no previous experience/qualifications

I have an English friend here, who came over permanently about 2 years ago.  She was a highly qualified (Head of Dept) teacher for a many years in England, teaching French (and some German and Spanish).  She now teaches (mainly) English, via various sources (agencies, Maison de la Formation - where she is very highly  regarded - all paid by the hour I think) and also has over the two years by word of mouth and the agencies got work privately teaching English / German / Spanish .... to all sorts.

It has taken her two years to begin to get towards an acceptable level of income, from the various sources, and she is a very highly qualified, experienced teacher.  In a couple of years (from something she was telling me) when she "passed" the exams to work in state schools (all her work is in private schools or similar I think) they will be introducing new rules and all who wish to teach in the state system will have to comply, even if, as in her case, her English qualifications and experience are far superior to what they are introducing - which was acknowledged by the people doing the "interviewing" at the time.  She won't be dong that she says!

So, it is possible, but very difficult, especially without experience, and will take time to establish any level of decent income, bearing in mind what you have to pay out in cotisations etc.  You should research those sorts of things too - plenty of info and advice on this forum through the search button.

And you would need to speak French well also.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Emma-Louise

Congratulations on your excellent A level results.

I would suggest that opportunities in France are very much the same as in England for the subjects chosen. - i.e. very little without further education to degree level.

Being very blunt, France is a closed shop. Without intimate knowledge of the language you will struggle.

I don't know your individual background, especially as 2013 seems to be a particular aim, but I'd advise going for a degree course in the subject that interests you most. It may be that the university has an arrangement within ERASMUS that would enable you to study in France as part of the degree, but again this would depend on you having sufficient language skills.

Apologies if you are a mature (age) student.

Report   Reply Quote

I’m not in a position to advise on teaching English as a foreign language in France. However you should take note of the good advice given by the other posters. You have very good qualifications perhaps you should consider other occupations where you could reach the same long term goals. Freelance journalism perhaps.
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't be put off by all this negative twaddle - need to get a degree etc. Rubbish. I left school with five 'o' levels and ended up as director of a CELTA course in a further education college. I still haven't got a first degree. Having said that, CELTA is normally a degree entry course, but we accepted a number of people who were less well qualified. The point about the CELTA is that it is a very practical course, rather than being academic, and anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence and a feel for language will do fine. In my experience, and I have observed hundreds of EFL teachers, the best teachers are seldom those who are the most academically gifted. My own career started by doing the CELTA course [ then called the RSA Prep Cert] and then spending a year in Italy working at an International House[IH] school. If you do your CELTA course at IH in London they will give you help and advice about finding a job. I'm pretty certain that you will find plenty of work teaching English in the major French cities. Not speaking much French is not a problem since all your teaching should be done in English.

My advice - go for it - don't be put off by the merchants of doom. E.mail me for further advice, info.

Best of luck.

Patrick

Report   Reply Quote

I agree, I know someone who was doing this for many years, only qualification being a native speaker and good people skills, he worked for a large French company that teaches French to company employees, they are so valued that AXA in La Defense Paris have given up one whole floor of the AXA tower as a dedicated study centre, I was interviewed for a position of a language trainer there, I have no qualifications and got an unclassified at O level French

He is now director of the North of France regional office, the problem he has is finding teachers qualified or otherwise that can actually converse (in English) at the same level as those learning the language, what I mean is when you are training the PDG or directors of  international and CAC40 companies you need to have a ceratin level of confidence, business and life experience, people skills and be personable.

There are many such companies operating in France and they are booming despite the recession, they all market heavily the fact that their trainers are native speakers, the positions are usually as vacataires where they guarantee you 60 hours per month but you may be sent all over the place at the drop of a hat and the pay is not very good at all although they pay travel expenses.

Report   Reply Quote

bixy wrote:
Don't be put off by all this negative twaddle…
Hear hear.
 bixy wrote:
Not speaking much French is not a problem since all your teaching should be done in English.
Quite.

I would only wish to add my opinion that it is worth going for your CELTA course at the best and most reputable establishment that you can afford.  Not only will this will improve your chances of getting supportive career advice and making good contacts, but the perceived quality of your training will enhance your qualification.

"M. Jérôme démasqua ses batteries: il resterait au lit."

Report   Reply Quote

So, I obviously didn't look very hard for a job!

It seemed impossibly difficult at the time but my circumstances weren't like yours, Emma Louise; I wasn't free to move around France and I didn't fancy the courses that you teach on the telephone as I dislike the phone.

If you do decide to have a go, I wish you all the best, of course.Smile [:)]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

You might not need French to work as an English teacher, but you certainly need it to live here.....even in a big city.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine