French Language

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Vous savez bien?

Thanks yes I get that now ...

Now ... (nearly finished !!) 

Il ne fait que rire dans sa barbe. Il aime mieux se faire comprendre par un geste que par un mot .

He laughs in his beard ??? im assuming this means he mumbles ? Then.. he likes to be understodd by gesture than by words ?

Dirty Tom =^..^=
Where ever I lay my paw thats my home

I support SPA Carcassonne ...go get a dog today
http://spacarcassonne.e-monsite.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

Non, these are expressions, so treat them as if they are.

In fact I just googled 'il rit dans sa barbe' and there is a very interesting chinese french web site that had a discussion about this expression.

Also a list of proverbs here.   http://www.cjonquiere.qc.ca/anglais/Help/Tips/Traduction/proverbes.html 

I suppose I would say; as always he was laughing his socks off. He likes to put on an 'act' rather than say anything.

I certainly don't know all the french proverbs and sayings by any means. I don't think that I know all 'english' ones either. I think that you really need to be more relaxed about these translations.

Many years ago, on, I think, the wonderful 'Les Enfants du Rock', they did a sketch. Two young people, both french, who meet in a pub in London. Neither knows the other is french but they speak english with literal translations from french. When one of them thinks the other is a bit of a nutter, they say, are you a hammer or not? It was full of such things which we found hilarious and the only reason I remember that saying is because we still use it to this day. Marteau ou quoi Wink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

. He likes to put on an 'act' rather than say anything.

"Actions speak louder than words" is about as close as we come, I think.  So, "He likes to let his actions speak louder than his words," or something along those lines.

Again,  as Idun points out, these are sayings and to translate them verbatim, imo, loses so much of the true meaning.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

I would love to see that Idun, is it on the web anywhere?

I do agree Pads that you need to take a more laid back approach to reading, it will come in time all by itself.

I like you used to ponder every word/phrase and always read French books with a EF/FE dictionary and Bescherelle to hand, now I just follow the plot and understand the meaning of most things if not the fine detail, if my comprehension of something seems at odds then I will resort to looking it up but it is rare now, eventually after having read/heard these phrases enough often the exact translation/meaning will jump out at you one day in a moment of realisation, often as has been discussed there is no literal translation but nonetheless you understand the phrase and it becomes part of your French vocabulary.

That is when the problems start when you unconsciously peppering your English conversation with nonsensical translations of French phrases!

These days I am quite uncomfortable speaking in English as I am very self conscious of the strange way that I now speak, I am much mre at ease speaking a sort of Franglais with another French speaking English person, I dont stumble over my words and as more often than not the conversation is about something in France it seems perfectly natural to do so.

Having read the books "a year in the m***e" and "M***e encore" I can identify with the character whose speaks just like I do.

Sometimes when I read some of Iduns postings I find that she writes things in the way that I think (in French) which pleases me!

When you are able to read French books without concerning yourself over the detail then reading becomes a pleasure rather than a chore or exercise, hence you do it more and get more out of it.

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks everyone for your help today..... where did today go , I said I was only going to work till lunch... whoops missed that !!

So thats enough for today

When im reading for pleasure !! HA.....  I do take a more relaxed view , but this is a translation for school home work ..so like to pick at it a little more ... I do have a name at school as the class swot ....but who cares its important to me...;)  

Dirty Tom =^..^=
Where ever I lay my paw thats my home

I support SPA Carcassonne ...go get a dog today
http://spacarcassonne.e-monsite.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

cooperlola wrote:
We've sort of discussed this before - I do find translating literature like this is always really tough.  Clair is right (natch), but if I were translating to produce a watchable play which made sense in English, I think the line would work more naturally as something like : "And as you've probably guessed already, my name's carrot top."  But I can see that it might not convey the fact that you understood the meaning of "vous le savez bien."

I am just giving a nudge, leaving Pads do the translating bit. Producing a watchable play is beyond my limited skills!Smile [:)].

I do hope the nudge is in the right direction! Woot! [:-))]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

What I meant was, although I felt you were quite correct, I think the whole business of translating works of literature as an exercise in comprehension is a minefield.  If you were a translator by profession, translating into your native tongue, you would use coloquialisms which weren't necessarily proper translations but which would (you might hope) convey the original author's intentions, and keep the thing interesting for the audience.  I was just making a general comment rather than disagreeing with you (which I don't!)  I think it's important to know your teacher before doing this so that you understand how far you can push the translation, and how literal you are expected to be.
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

I suffer the addled tete I'm afraid. I am seriously semi lingual now and sometimes things I know I should know, just won't show themselves.

Tis a very odd situation to be in. Also, it means that my views on life are ' very odd', AND they were a bit odd to start with. No hope for me really. Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine