French Language

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: "déclenché": what does this word mean?

woolybanana wrote:
Le fait de voir mon ex-belle mère a déclenché une crise?
Big Smile [:D]
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
To be fair, I did not even notice the spelling mistake and so was not put off by it at all.

You didn't notice the error, Wools, because you know the word sufficiently well not to need it to be correctly spelt.

Isn't there some test they do when they write a sentence with words deliberately misspelt or vowels missing and you could still understand it perfectly because it's the brain and not the eye that "understands" meanings?

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, it is something that first language speakers do instinctively but which causes problems to second language learners. We used to have exercises involving this to encourage students to look for global meaning for context. Of course, there are variations depending on educational cultural background. Those built of absolute and detailed correctness, usually extensive rote learning would have the biggest problems.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

'Trigger' (not Roy Rogers' horse), i.e. set off, started.

But the others are right, of course.

Andrew 44

Report   Reply Quote

Well your sub-conscious must have been working for you to choose that title, I read the title and the rest of the thread before realising that you had written delenché in the text which rather proves the point made later on.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, Chance, it's very strange how it works but you often get a "feeling" about something being right or not.

Sometimes, it's just whether you can say the word aloud and if it doesn't sound right, then it often isn't.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

It is a word I will never forget having had my car broken into and making a report at the police station when the gendarme wrote "ils ont déclenché l'alarme" having broken into half a dozen others before mine...................JR
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine