French Language

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Accents

Sid, thought you might have said "by goom, lass"!
N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm a northerner too, but it doesn't help with my accent, husband also northerner and as I said hasn't got a defineable accent, certainly not an english one.

How can't you hear your own accent, must say I am sat here with a silly smile on my face, as I thought that we all 'knew' how we sounded, obviously not.Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Hm.....just been thinking about putting stresses on certain words and I am now appealing to all TEFL and ex TEFL teachers.

Did you ever come across a little dialogue that you use to teach "foreigners" where the stress is put in English?  I believe it started with "Pendlebury's coming when he can" and ends with "Poor Pendlebury"

Can't for the life of me remember the 3 or 4 sentences in between.  Can anyone remember?Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
... as I thought that we all 'knew' how we sounded, obviously not.

How we sound to ourselves is not how we sound to other people. When I first heard my recorded voice I was horrified and thought 'Is that really how I sound ... how awful'

Sue

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I know we, well me, doesn't know how I sound to others, but isn't it like singing when hearing one's own voice from the inside of our head, that we can still detect off notes.

I am always surprised when I hear my voice on the message machine, know it's from my 'region' with the flat vowel sounds, just not that it is me, but I never think it is awful though.

Report   Reply Quote

We were once asked by an Australian whether we thought she had an accent.  After we had all finished laghing and had got back into our chairs someone said, Strewth cobber, I thought that was a wind up.  But it was a serious question.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think it does help with spoken french if you come from the NE of England or Scotland. Mostly the vowels but also the geordie gutteral "rrr", which is prevalent around here.
But I stick to my theory that a good french accent is linked to having a "musical ear". ie you can hear remember and mimic sounds, rhythms and emphasis in speech.
Which is something like you wrote SW17.

Report   Reply Quote

And you know what, Pat, when I try to explain to British people how the French "u" should sound, I think about your example from the marseillaise when they sing "Mugir ces féroces soldats"?Big Smile [:D]

I can do the "u" on its own but still can't always get it when it's "r" followed by "u" as in "rue"......still, I keep practising!Geeked [geek]

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine