The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 27 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Canal du Midi

Loiseau wrote:
Could you get your friend to amend the red-on-green text, nomoss? I'd love to read it, but the effect of the bold red on bright green makes it impossible. (I don't know if it's due to different focal lengths of the two colours - but I bet somebody else will come along to tell me.) Angela

I think it's a poor choice of colour combinations too.

As a temporary measure you can select the area of text (click/drag) and on my machine at least it then shows as white text on a blue background... much clearer!

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

I read that article too; it's very sad, as the trees are a marvellous sight along the canal. I read that replacement trees which are resistant to the fungus are planned. But what a huge cost for it all!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Only about 1.8 million € GG. That's for the cutting and replanting with resistant trees.

One theory is that a couple of blokes working on infected trees in the North of France then came down here to carry on with their cropping and didn't bother to clean their kit properly. Thus we now loose 40,000 trees along the Canal. Trebes looks totally awful now and the first ones to go, about 2 years back, at the Ecluse d'Villedubert made me want to cry! 200 beautiful trees because of a couple of lazy gits! And the rest to follow!!!

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

The Guardian has finally caught up with this Forum !
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/13/canal-du-midi-under-threat

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Nomoss, initially I took one look at your friends site and didn't go further, but today I read on. I am not sure where you friend got some of his info, especially about the canal not being drained. Sections are drained every year for maintainence including replacing lock gates, installing ladders in the locks, repointing locks and bank managment. Last year the port of Carcassonne was drained so the lock gates could be changed.

They even drain the Bassin St Ferriol about every 10 years and did so a few years back. It was very strange to walk around the lake about 100 foot down! The barrage has to be seen from that angle to really believe what it must have taken to build it!

John.

Report   Reply Quote

Jonzjob. I know it's a pretty carp site, but he feels very strongly about the trees and I guess that's the best he can do. He is a cook, not a rocket scientist. Smile [:)]

The site used to be a lot better, I'm not sure if someone else has become involved in it.

I don't know where he got his ideas about draining, I've emailed him to ask.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

I contacted John about points raised above.

Re. the text colour he replied:

i will change the text color, but obviously some of your friends dont care about the trees . otherwise they would have different  things to point out.

Re draining the canal, he was referring to the 56km section to Beziers. I suggeted he should clarify this. He replied:

perhaps, but the point is the trees. Otherwise i would not have the website, and would begin to profit off of the name !! canaldumidi.net      Thanks fro sending it around anyway, all awareness is better than none...

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

I could take umbridge to your friends attitude. He is not the only one who is concerned about the trees.

The point about the colours is that when anyone looks at the near impossibility to read red on green they just go away from the site instead of scrolling down to read it! That being the case makes the site less useful than it should be.

We walk the canal most days and know a great deal about the history of the canal and love those trees.

It will be interesting to see just what happens when Veola take over from the VNF?

John.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine