French Language

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Errors in grammar in French newspapers

Gallic humour ....

Is that not an oxymoron?

I actually love the journalistic style of the French provincial press. Why use one word when ten flowery ones will do? These people believe that reports of court cases, deaths and meetings of the local petanque club deserve to be fashioned in potential Pullitzer Prize-winning style. Even the grammatical errors are dressed up in ornate adjectives.

As one whose own journalistic training centred heavily on conciseness, clarity and correctness, I love to see how others think it should be done. Wink [;-)]

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Will wrote:

Gallic humour ....

Is that not an oxymoron?

I actually love the journalistic style of the French provincial press. Why use one word when ten flowery ones will do? These people believe that reports of court cases, deaths and meetings of the local petanque club deserve to be fashioned in potential Pullitzer Prize-winning style. Even the grammatical errors are dressed up in ornate adjectives.

As one whose own journalistic training centred heavily on conciseness, clarity and correctness, I love to see how others think it should be done. Wink [;-)]

......I agree. The style of the journalistic style in the provincial press is lovely and flowery. I guess they start losing their own personal styles when they start working for the bigger organisations.

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

An interesting example of the same mistake as in my OP, but this time done deliberately is "Sarko m'a tuer' the title of a book just out.
Explanation here:
http://www.rue89.com/francais-net/2011/09/04/sarko-ma-tuer-pourquoi-le-titre-de-rue89-vous-a-choquer-220327

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Not quite on topic but my daughter sent me this which is on a postcard: 

LA BELGIQUE  SES FRITES

LA BELGIQUE S'EFFRITE

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Is it really that 'bad' there Wooly?
   Report   Reply Quote

Looks like it if someone can be so self-deprecating !

Who says Belgian don't have a sense of humour Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

« Dominique Strauss-Kahn est un citoyen qui a le droit de se ressourcer dans son pays après les évènements qu’il a traversé ».

Lack of agreement of noun in plural and past participle; possibly eric besson, possibly Le Monde journalist.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine