French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Franglais

NormanH wrote:
You must remember
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fhzv_eurotrash-series-7-show-4-1996-with_fun

Thank you Norman, that has brightened my day, I didnt know that you too were a fan of Prince Charles Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

Tres Heureux to see things are perking up for you Norm . . .Cool [8-|]
the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

Strange this subject should come up this morning.  A quarter of an hour ago, OH was preparing to go dog walking.  The weather looked like rain and I rushed out to bring in the washing (which hadn't long gone out and I wasn't best pleased, but that's by the way).

As  they left, I called out "don't forget your.....", the only word coming to mind being impermèable !  I was stumped, not because I couldn't say mac or anorak or rain jacket or any of those things but I didn't know which of his many waterproof garments he was going to take on this heavy, sticky day which yet threatened rain.

There are occasions when only franglais will do, n'est-ce pas?Stick out tongue [:P]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

What a blast from the past! I have Miles Kington's second book "Let's Parler Franglais Again!". Very yellowed pages now, but I've read it so many times and it still makes me chuckle.

Published in Penguin paperback 1982. UK £1.25 !!

"Pratiquement un also-ran pour le Prix Nobel"

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have trouble with our phone number whenever we need to give it over the phone to somebody in the UK.

Translating back all the "quatre vingts" is nigh impossible.Blink [blink]

Report   Reply Quote

You know, when I give phone numbers in English, I have to do it in double digits zero five, twenty-five, thirty-three, etc.  Can't do like in the old days, in single digits.....
N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I adored Miles Kington and still have all the Franglais books (he did half a dozen or so.)  Click on the link for a compendium book which is still in print from Amazon, Idun.

I experimented with my physio - who always likes to speak English to me and reciprocates by teaching me unusual words and phrases - by speaking English to her in a "French" (the inverted commas are for my version of the accent).  She reckoned she found it far easier to understand than when I spoke to her in my genuine English accent.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry, I quite forgot this masterpiece, The Franglais Lieutenant's Woman. Big Smile [:D]
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine