French Language

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: He speaks only English

I think that the point is that it sounds better with the definite article if it begins with a vowel.  N'est-ce pas, Eric?
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Qu'est j'en sais moi ??....
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

I feel you're probably better placed to say than some of us, bonnie lad.Smile [:)]
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Its one that I often get confused by especially as in speech people often drop the negation so when I hear both the ne and the que it sounds to my ears like "not only..........."

And then there is when I read books, with the short lines I read the "ne" and it can be a couple of lines before the "que" finally appears by which time I have interpreted the whole sentence as being not  blah blah blah as opposed to only blah blah blah.

Report   Reply Quote

You got me wondering why I said that now.
I just think it sounds better with the l' .
Or maybe it's a negative thing, I'd probably say 'je parle anglais' but I'd say 'je ne parle pas l'anglais'.

Anyway here are some statistics according to how many times google found things:

"parle anglais" 2,710,000
"parle l'anglais" 66,000

"ne parle que l'anglais" 91,000
"ne parle qu'anglais" 68,600
"ne parle que anglais" 10,700

Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
"parle l'anglais" 66,000 "
Eugh. The two ls side by side sound horrid.  I'm with the majority here in both cases (makes a change!)
   Report   Reply Quote

Eric is right, both are correct !

I'd say " il ne parle qu'anglais "

C'est qui, Sweet, ton mari ? Wink [;-)] ( only kidding)

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Non, Frenchie, pas mon mari............I'd have killed him by now!

The neighbour who wanted me to drive him to the garage AND speak to the garagiste on his behalfCry Out [:'(]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine