French Language

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Rendezvous or Rendez-vous

I beg to differ, 5-element. On that basis, rosbif would be an English word and I refuse to believe that it is.
   Report   Reply Quote

Except that ros and bif are not English words, but rendez and vous are French words.   Smile [:)]

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Of course rendez and vous are French words, and rendez-vous is also French, but IMHO rendezvous isn't. The point of the rosbif example was that I don't think you ought to take another language's words, adapt them so that they would be 'wrong' in the original language, and then say they still belong to the original language. I don't think the Académie Française would like it.

Once a word's been anglicised, as far as I'm concerned it's English - or perhaps there should be an English equivalent of franglais. How about Ensh?
   Report   Reply Quote

Its for a pottery club magazine article that introduces 3 people to the readership - as I've already complained about the poor use of French previously it sounds as it had better be Rendez-vous!

Merci Smile [:)]

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

My Oxford English Dictionary uses Rendezvous and not Rendez-Vous
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Part of the problem is that there are French and English speaking members......it would be nice for it to be correct in French...
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

It appears that the correct french is Rendez-vous while in English it is Rendezvous.
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

"My Oxford English Dictionary uses Rendezvous and not Rendez-Vous"

I rest my case!

If it's in the OED, it must be English!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine