French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: bimbeloteries

No wonder that drove the poor old dog nuts Cry Out [:'(]

I think that amounts to animal abuse and the RSPCA should have been called in!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:
  ....  There was a piece on Jacques Cartier, who was an exlorer in the 16th century.  It was said that the explorers got to know some Micmac Indians and exchanged goods with them. For the trade, the explorers changed les "colifichets, couteaux, tissus et autres bimbeloteries contre des peaux d'animaux"......

Micmac has become a French familiar masculine noun for an intrigue, a machination or a difficult situation. 'Qu'est ce que c'est ce micmac?' could possibly be one of Mr Hercule Poirot's catchphrases. Enough for him to work out his little grey cells ...

As to colifichet, bimbeloterie, bagatelle ... a more pejorative noun is sometime used  : quincaillerie for all the clinking bling worn by some people, indeed some of them bimbos Big Smile [:D] 

Report   Reply Quote

Ah, Aiffricaine, thanks for the French lesson!

I like micmac for intrique and will henceforth explain it to my Scottish friend with whom I take a walk once a week!

I knew about quincaillerie because I read that Sarko was addicted to it before Carla toned down his taste somewhat (er...I didn't imply his taste in women, so please don't call me snooty!)

Report   Reply Quote

Micmac has always been a shopping centre for me

http://www.micmacmall.com/

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought that quincallerie releted more to body piercings etc, cant imagine the president or his wife sporting them, best not go there eh.

A libertine guy once showed me a photo of his wife, as they are sadly prone to do Sad [:(] it was of course a real "readers wives" type shot Ick! [+o(]

I commented that if one looked beyond the tattoos she appeared to have several shrapnel wounds in rather delicate positions Devil [6]

Report   Reply Quote

AFAIK, Chance, quincaillerie in this jokey context, just means "serious bling".  In other words, flashy jewellery.
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
Friperies is perhaps what you are looking for, Sweets! Bibelots is another that springs to mind, but maybe it's not quite so pejorative. I have never heard of colfichets, but will try and work it into a few French conversations as it sounds SO luscious. Angela

Angela, tu es là?

I managed to get BOTH colifichet and bimbeloterie into the same sentence today!

I was out walking with a large randonée group and it was a warm, sunny afternoon.  I stopped to remove my scarf and, as I did so, one of my earrings got knocked off and fell on to the road.

A Frenchman pointed out that I'd dropped something and I said, "Bof!  C'est un colifichet, une bimbeloterie", with, naturellement, the requisite two shrugs of the shoulders.

And I was wondering, after your post, just how long it would take me to get an opportunity to show off this brand new piece of knowledge!Stick out tongue [:P]

Mais, quelle frimeuse, hein?

Report   Reply Quote

Quelle frimeuse, indeed, Sweets! Both in ONE sentence! Bravo!!
I hope the Frenchman was impressed. I am. ;-)

I'm not in France at the moment, so would not be able to flabbergast anybody.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine