Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Returning to the UK..Fill up with fuel ! .

There is a theory that the government welcomes this panic as a distraction from criticism of the budget, granny tax etc
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Or indoors! I wouldn't even refill a lighter indoors.
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Rabbie wrote:
There is a theory that the government welcomes this panic as a distraction from criticism of the budget, granny tax etc

Or buying the PM for £250,000 which I find just vile! I thought you only got a £1000 for come dine with me

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think you are right-but the tactic has badly misfired .In any language, "Don't panic" always means that panic follows-ask Corporal Jones!. There are reports of people filling jam jars with petrol. Not on the direction of a cabinet minister, but nevertheless he should think before he speaks.
Jazzer
   Report   Reply Quote

Since in some places fuel receipts went up my 110%, just think how much revenue Mr Osborne now has......a real boost for the 2011- 2012 figures.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Perhaps it was a tactic to make it impossible for the Union to strike?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Perhaps it was a tactic to make it impossible for the Union to strike?

It appears that the Tories were trying to engineer the same situation that they did in the run-up to the miners' strike:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/31/petrol-crisis-thatcher-moment-tories
However, a quick calculation by the BBC reckons that at the most, 14 day's worth of fuel could be stockpiled in ALL the cars in the UK. There are fewer fuel stations in the UK now than there were eg in 2000. A week of no tankers (the MoD was reckoning on releasing about 90 drivers to replace the 2000 that there are normally) would hurt very hard.

Regards
Pickles

I think that if that was their plan they have at least avoided a miserable and fraught Easter.

I did hear on the radio that there is possibility of making provision for care workers and other essential services should there be a strike

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine