French Education

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Big Smile [:D]

Re: Does anyone have any positive experiences of the French school system?

My thoughts support those of LeHaut. Our eldest started in France at the age of 9, the youngest age 4. There was some bullying for the eldest, this petered out (Brit lad that instigated it moved back to UK). Eldest very happy at Lycee, youngest very happy at College.
Probably wrong for all sorts of reasons but I have given my boys an incentive to do well with exams. Above 75% they receive €2, 100% €3 (equates annually to around €120). Neither receive pocket money automatically, however they can earn it by helping around the house & doing well at school.
After jet noise, a horizontal twin is the sound of freedom
   Report   Reply Quote

We were always very involved with our children's education, always. I was Chair of our Parents Assoc at one time as there are no PTA's that I have ever seen. I was on school councils and class councils in college, never missed a meeting and regularly saw both children's teachers. So do not tell me that you get out what you put in. Which infers that we had been negligent, because it went wrong, and we were NOT! And it is very insulting.

In fact this thread has now gone from annoying me to angering me with such smug answers. What on earth do you think the rest of us do when it goes wrong........ try and sabotage our own children's futures???????????? Because teachers in France are good at that all on their own!

I expected my children to do as well at they were capable at school and blossom and flourish. Both had regular bed times, and not Mardi c'est permis!......or Samedi! Both had healthy diets, and plenty of extra curricular activities and education was valued in our home and encouraged. And it was a catastrophy, for both as it happens.

The eldest's mild dyslexia (probably on a par with mine)meant that he was penalised severely for all spelling mistakes in all subjects, even if he knew his subject, because WE ALL KNOW, that being able to spell is more important than writing about and understanding your subject!!!!! It was college when this really affected his marks and he left feeling absolutely worthless and still does. No matter how much help we got him or encouraged him, those teachers wore him down. It was only in Lycee that he had a wonderful teacher for a year. However, he didn't have her for his second year and his french teacher told us he and I, that if he didn't understand she was not there to explain, it was his problem and not to expect her to help like his teacher the previous year, and she made it quite obvious that she did not approve of any teacher encouraging any pupil to improve! He walked out a few months later and said he couldn't stand it any more..... and who could blame him. I couldn't.

And that was my son with least problems. The other, well, his dyslexia was far worse, as was his temperament. Gifted in sport, a french champion at one point, Art and maybe could have been at Maths, IF the stupid stupid stupid maths teacher had actually sat him down and checked to see that he wasn't cheating. The trouble being, he could do very complicated calculations in his head. Now I'm not that bright, but maths is the only subject where the teacher can check more or less instantly if someone is cheating by taking the pupil to one side and saying....'if you aren't cheating, do these extra excersize on your own, at my desk'. But every maths teacher he had was stupid and unimagineative.  So, constantly been punished for something he hadn't done, ie cheating, put him off maths. His marks in art lousy, ART in french schools.......not where I lived, they may as well have done painting by numbers. Unfortunately my deviant would put his own expression into his art and those fantastic things he did would get a ZERO and hors sujet. Sad really as there were three things he could have excelled at, even if he couldn't write very well, in spite of his excellent brain, but he was CRUSHED too. He didn't get a well rounded education, he didn't get anything good apart from a morbid fear of teachers and worse, education, which is so sad. He too had one good teacher in all his time at school, but that was it.

By the time the youngest was 14, I was desparate, because, you know, education is important, I spoke to people all over France. Well educated french people, with children with problems........... like a surgeon in Bordeaux, who had given up on french education and was having to send his dyslexic sons  to Belgium. In fact one month I spent over £100 in phone bills calling absolutley anybody I could think of. An association called La Bouture had started a couple of years earlier, by teachers, (because a few do care,) who were worried about children failing at school and IF it is all so rosey now, why is this association still in existence? And why is Hollande talking about children failing and the lack of encouragement in french schools???????? And that man is in charge of the country and not just a middle aged woman posting!

I want all children to succeed, I certainly do, I cannot think of anything better than a child getting on in life and having a good education. But if any of you think that when children end up failing, it is simply down to bad parenting, or the child being stupid, then think again. In France as far as I am concerned there are other forces at work. Unfortunately there are other posters who post from time to time who have had bad experiences in France too and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Report   Reply Quote

]<P>We were always very involved with our children's education, always. I was Chair of our Parents Assoc at one time as there are no PTA's that I have ever seen. I was on school councils and class councils in college, never missed a meeting and regularly saw both children's teachers. So do not tell me that you get out what you put in. Which infers that we had been negligent, because it went wrong, and we were NOT! And it is very insulting. </P>
<P>In fact this thread has now gone from annoying me to angering me with such smug answers. What on earth do you think the rest of us do when it goes wrong........ try and sabotage our own children's futures???????????? Because teachers in France are good at that all on their own! </P>

I would hope that, despite quoting me, this rant is not directed at me. I started my reply with the words, "To answer the specific question", ie the one asked by the OP, I implied no comment on previous posts, nor other people's experiences. The tone of this post perhaps gives a closer insight to the individuals problems.
   Report   Reply Quote

I am pleased that most contributors so far are satisfied with their childrens' french schools.

Maybe things have changed considerably in the last 30-odd years.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

....... So do not tell me that you get out what you put in. Which infers that we had been negligent, because it went wrong, and we were NOT! And it is very insulting.

In fact this thread has now gone from annoying me to angering me with such smug answers. What on earth do you think the rest of us do when it goes wrong........ try and sabotage our own children's futures???????????? Because teachers in France are good at that all on their own!

Well how smug of the other posters not to agree with you and to have had good experiences ! Why is your experience the only valid one ? The OP asked if anyone had any positive experiences and posters have replied to him but you choose to get a strop on because of this. As a generality I believe it is true that you get out what you put in - I see a lot of kids struggling in education in UK and France because their parents don't care. Does this mean every parent who puts in a lot of effort sees great success - of course not, good grief credit us with some intelligence. It was one generalised comment in one post.

But if you are moving your child to a foreign education system where you and they will struggle with the language and the way things work then if you leave them to flounder the chances are they will struggle. Seems like common sense to me.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but we are having a good one and I'm happy about that, not smug. It seems I'm not alone.

it is what it is ...
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

Gifted in sport, a french champion at one point, Art and maybe could have been at Maths, IF the stupid stupid stupid maths teacher had actually sat him down and checked to see that he wasn't cheating. The trouble being, he could do very complicated calculations in his head. Now I'm not that bright, but maths is the only subject where the teacher can check more or less instantly if someone is cheating by taking the pupil to one side and saying....'if you aren't cheating, do these extra excersize on your own, at my desk'. But every maths teacher he had was stupid and unimagineative.  So, constantly been punished for something he hadn't done, ie cheating, put him off maths.

A similar thing happened in my education which by the way was the worst of the trendy progressive modern education of the 70's, teachers smoking in front of the class, not just smoking but smoking dope, others creating ground breaking sex education books intended for the whole education system that were withdrawn as they were in fact paedophiles and the books contained photographs of them nude and excited in sexual positions with teenage students, just trying to paint the picture, - back to maths.

I missed some early and important lessons due to asthma as a child including arithmatic, years later my mother was surprised to find that I did very complicated division calculations in my head because I did not know how to do long division, she took it up with my maths teacher who was equally unaware but did not give a monkeys as I was near to the top of the class and he had no intention of teaching me it as I had missed the lessons years earlier, my mother tried to teach me but well I guess I found it pretty uncool and unecessary and of course she was not a teacher, you need the skills to teach especially to someone who doesnt want or cannot see the need to learn, kinda sums up my whole education really.

I still do not know how to do long division with a paper and pencil and still do it regularly in my head, in fact I rarely use a calculator at all, only for trigonometry or squares, roots or inverse functions and practically never pen and paper but I only scraped through with a C at O level maths, probably a C for cheating as they could not see my workings, there were none. We didnt have calculators then, they were only just invented, we used log and trig tables.

I bought my first calculator as a first year year apprentice doing HNC at technical college, it was a Casio one with the logs and trig etc that we needed, it cost £28 and that was with my sister getting it duty free from Jersey, my gross pay then was £16 per week £10 of which I paid my father for my keep.

Report   Reply Quote

I am impressed to read that somewhere in France 'Through the normal state system our children have learned to play instruments, played in orchestras 120 strong'

In this Academie instrumental lessons are either private, or taken at the local Conservertoire, and there are certainly none of the youth orchestras and choirs which used to be the norm in the UK.

Neither are there inter-school sports leagues.
In this field too the activites are hived off to external groups, such as local clubs.
The lack of  music, drama, and sports teams in French schools, combined with the way in which teachers waltz in to reach 2/3 hours then go straight off rather than stay on the premises explains why there is often little cohesion or cross-curricular activity.

However some areas are apparently starting to change to read this post.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

For my son, collège was a total nightmare.  In rural France, state education is archaic.  (From a family with many teachers who have taught all over the world)

It's totally ridiculous to expect all children of varying abilities to work to the same curriculum and be marked out of 20 purely on results and nothing for personal achievement and effort.  And for music and sport to count towards the moyenne - please??!!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine