French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

But the school has illustrated that they don't just want the slip filling in when the child returns, haven't they? They obviously want to know, so it is sot of them to not want the parents to be in touch. And yes, an email, if you couldn't call, sounds like a very good idea.

As Chancer wisely mentioned, what if your child had gone missing and they followed their own protocol and were going to wait for a few days to get in touch. So by the time you realised that your kid hadn't got home, because some kids don't get home for hours after the schools have closed, my son used to get in at 19h, after leaving for college at 6.40am. Then the school would be closed and it would be very very difficult to deal with.

When I believe rules are stupid, I ignore them, and let them put it down to me being an ignorant anglaise, which never bothered me.

Report   Reply Quote

They're ok with us not phoning as I've said.  A child wouldn't go missing without their siblings noticing.  We phone if the line is working and if they were all off we'd go over the road and phone from a mobile phone if it wasn't, as there wouldn't be anyone to tell them or for them to check with.  It was whether I'm obliged to see a doctor that I wasn't sure of and now Norman has pointed out that it isn't obligatory, I feel better.

Maybe it's just that the secretary has a list of questions she's supposed to ask when a child is off sick.

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Just had a thought - maybe she phoned me because the boys are in different classes this year and its not so easy to check.  I think what I'll do from now on is send them an email at the point when I make the decision they're not going in - then there is no worry about phone lines or one child remembering to tell the other's principal teacher that they're sick.

Still don't fancy sending them in when they've been ill all the day before - or dragging them out to see a doctor to prove it or agree with me that they shouldn't go in, either!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Maybe its because when they return they are not taking a cocktail of anti-biotics and drugs several times a day like the other children so they think that they were either not ill at all or you are neglecting their welfare by not running to the quack and the pharmacie at the first sign of a sniffle or upset stomach Idea [I]
   Report   Reply Quote

Could be!  I don't like giving them drugs unless I really have to.  That's the first time I've ever given one of my kids loperamide to stop diarrhoea and that was because it was the worst case I've seen.   I have this idea that they need to wash the system out and taking something to stop that working might just hold the germs in but in this case, I really felt he needed something to help.  He's gone to school bright and cheery today and is off the BRAT diet so my treatment seems to have worked! 

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Well your brat diet sounds sensible and very healthy, but, Big Smile [:D] it isn't quite what french friends would 'tell me' one should eat if a gastro struck. Boiled rice, and rice water, pureed carrots and for adults, neat pastis. And a friend who was flying to South America when her small baby took ill was told to give him Coca Cola by an american doctor and she did, and if I say very reluctantly, I mean it and it worked. She was well impressed and a convert.

I agree that I reckon that the system is emptying itself for a reason, and I am loathe to take anything unless really necessary.

Report   Reply Quote

:) my husband would be impressed with the pastis medicine!

Re coke - that's one I've used for years (since my eldest was a baby) but I have to stress it is flat coke and not straight from the bottle carbonated coke.  You put a little sugar in  and that makes it fizz up and then go flat.  I give that if they have gripe pains and it works really well to stop the pain.  I don't give it when they're vomiting or have the runs (unless it is the latter alone and they have gripe pains).  Sugared water works for babies too.

I can't remember who told me about that but I do remember being impressed at the time because I tried it myself and being prone to ulcers, coke wouldn't be the first thing I would think of but it worked! 

It's the high potassium in the BRAT diet that's supposed to help stop diarrhoea. 

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Best thing for gastroenteritis type probs is water, lots of it, small amounts frequently (if it is down for 15 mins they've got it in their system) adding up to about 200ml per hour (whilst awake).  Very dilute low sugar squash does well too and is a bit less boring than water, but avoid sugary drinks or caffeinated drinks, as the latter can make you pee out more than you take in.  Food should be avoided for 24 hours, reason being that the bowel is usually inflamed, so giving it a natural rest is a good thing, whilst the fluids avoid dehydration.  Any bugs are then shed naturally.  The mistake which most people make is to start eating too early, usually at the first signs of hunger, so the bowel doesn't settle and the diarrhoea continues.  Loperamide and similar really should be avoided even if the diarrhoea is very frequent and profuse, as it can slow down the overall recovery.  If however the diarrhoea continues unabated for 2-3 days despite fluids only sometimes it is necessary to use it.  Antibiotics have no place in treating most of these conditions and can make the diarrhoea worse in certain instances.  As most gastroenteritis is over by and large within 24-72 hours neither a medical consultation, medication or tests are usually necessary.  There are always exceptions of course, including infants and very small children, who are more vulnerable to dehydration and can uncommonly get quite poorly.

As for seeing a Dr every time a child is off school, that is a nonsense in any country and should be resisted.  In my experience parents are usually best judge.  The GPs have got plenty to do without as idun says, seeing minor ailments clutter up their surgeries, 23 euros or not.  If it isn't a legal requirement, don't do it.  Tell the school by all means, but just get your child back to school as soon as you think they can tolerate it.  Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine