French Language

Topic has 35 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: l'origine de l'expression

Tied myself up in knots a bit last night when I was telling my neighbours about the new Governor of the Bank of England being a Canadian.  I wanted to use this latest expression in my repertoire.

Hier, j'en ai eu les bras qui en sont tombés....etc.

Didn't have access to Sid's useful conjugaison site and didn't realise when I started speaking that the passé composé of this phrase is going to be so tricky!

Still, don't they say that the more mistakes you make, the more you learn, or something like that?Blush [:$]

Thought I'd mention this so that people who are interested could now post to say they'd have known what to say all along .......Wink [;-)]

See, you can't just be the one asking the questions all the time, sometimes you have to give others a chance to laugh at you and have a snigger at your expense!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

So what is the difference between your expression Sweet17 and 'baisser les bras'. I only know and use 'baisser les bras' and cannot remember ever hearing the 'falling arms' one before!Big Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm not sure that there IS a difference, id.  I just love the weird picture of someone's arms falling off and they are left with bleeding stumps!Big Smile [:D]

Gory, I know, but some mental pictures are not easily erased, don't you think?

Edit:  I think also that, as well as being powerless to do something as in baisser les bras (I understand, a boxing term), it also means something like, I am completely amazed as in "I don't BELIEVE it!"

Report   Reply Quote

There is a big difference.

"Baisser les bras" is "to give up".

"Les bras m'en tombent" is "I am so shocked that my arms are falling off!"

Report   Reply Quote

Big Smile [:D]Thankyou 5E. I cannot remember hearing anyone say 'les bras m'en tombent'.
   Report   Reply Quote

You are welcome Idun. It is like saying "I am speechless" - or "Je suis sidérée".Smile [:)]
   Report   Reply Quote

Or even, you could have knocked me down with a feather?Big Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

"You could have knocked me down with a feather."

Exactly !

@+

Andrew 44

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine