French Language

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: To spare, can you spare it?

dunno wich is the bigger porkie...that u iz polite or yer aint a poofterDevil [6]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

After such a prolonged drout who knows which way I may swing when the rains come Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

When I need to borrow a tool from the very helpful neighbour, I ask him " je viens t'emprunter un xyz " and then describe the project I am working on. By saying "emprunter" he knows that said item will be returned....... Or I describe my problem and ask him if he has the right tool for it.
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

The great thing about neighbours or anyone who has to regularly put up with our attempts at the language is that they eventually understand what it is we want even if we might be saying anything else.

I believe that the  viens t' is not correct.

Je viens (de) t'emprunter un XYZ means I have just borrowed an XYZ from you.

In fact now I am confused as I'm not sure that the tu form goes before or after the verb in this case, maybe je viens d'emprunter un XYZ de toi.

What I say and its probably not correct French, maybe overcomplicated and overpolite (gayWink [;-)]) is:

Je viens pour demander si je pourrais emprunter un XYZ.

So what is the correct way of asking "I have come to ask if I could borrow an XYZ from you?"

Or equally "I have come to borrow an XYZ from you?" My apologies if Erics text was correct Blush [:$] its only when seeing or hearing things said in a different way that I question my own speech.

Report   Reply Quote

Eric is correct and I believe he is French.

Je viens t'emprunter    I come to borrow from you

Je viens de t'emprunter   I have just borrowed from you.

C'est pas simple !

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

So what is the correct way of asking "I have come to ask if I could borrow an XYZ from you?"

I would say, Je viens ou je suis venu(e) te demander si je pouvais t'emprunter ton XYZ.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

My humble apologies Eric Blush [:$]

At least you have taught me something that will stick!

One never forgets a painfull lesson in life.

Report   Reply Quote

Christine Animal wrote:

I would say, Je viens ou je suis venu(e) te demander si je pouvais t'emprunter ton XYZ.

Pas de probleme Chancer. There are worse matters to worry about. Big Smile [:D] You appear to have been confused with " je viens t'emprunter..." Look at is as " Je viens emprunter a toi where toi is replaced by t' . ...... Now we can start talking about your roof (toit) but that can add much confusion. Woot! [:-))]

For the translation above you can also ask " Je viens te demander si je peux t'emprunter ton/ta XYZ"......As I know my neighbour, I by-pass the grovelling and go straight to " Je viens t'emprunter ton/ta XYZ".

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine