French Language

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: For Sweet 17 and other word-lovers

You can call me Betty wrote:
Mille sabords!
It probably only exists in Tintin and I think in English it becomes "blistering barnacles" although that's not a literal translation!

The 'mille sabords'  is an annual event which takes place not far from us every autumn where second hand boats are on sale. It is quite an occasion usually lasting 3 or 4 days and thousands of people arrive en masse.

http://www.lemillesabords.com/actualite-96-le-mille-sabords.html

Sue

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
Sorry, Frecossais, I'm not well read at all, just playing! Mille Sabords is Captain Haddock's staple exclamation in Tintin. It has many variations:
Mille sabords!
Mille milliers de mille sabords!
Mille milliers de mille sabords de tonnerre de Brest!

and many others in similar vein. It probably only exists in Tintin and I think in English it becomes "blistering barnacles" although that's not a literal translation!

There's a neat exchange also in one of the Tintin books where Dupont and Dupond (the Thompson Twins, if you're more familiar with the English version) find a gold nugget - une pepite. Their exchanges in the books often involve spoonerisms or similar, and one of them gets a bit tongue tied and says "saperlipepite, une popette!"

My dictionary gives sabord as "port(hole)", mille sabords! as "shiver my timbers!"

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

It's also a bookshop (and a restaurant) in La Rochelle, another goodness knows how many restaurants and seaside shops all over FranceBig Smile [:D] The Mille Sabords boat salon started in the 80's, IIRC, so I guess it took its name from Tintin, too.Wink [;-)]

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine