French Language

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: cringe-making

Thanks, everybody for the nice choice of expressions.  If I'd known I'd get so many suggestions, I'd have started a whole new page in my little notebook rather than try to squeeze it all in near the bottom of the page.

Yes, "à faire grincer des dents " is good and, like id, I do know someone who very often "me donne envie de vomit" as well!

I do know, unavoidably, this couple who can simultaneously make me want to do both of those things Cry Out [:'(]  He is as dim as a toc-H lamp (expression learnt from OH) and she is more often than not, as exhausted as a newt.

But, what I really, really wish is that she'd stop claiming that French words all sound the same and giving the example of  "la mère", "la mer" and "la ***" as though she'd just told the funniest joke in the world.  After the first half dozen times of saying no actually they all sound completely different, I now just do that thing with the teeth as per Norman's suggestion.

The other joke, which I won't repeat because I'd just grind my teeth some more, is based on her contention that "souris" and "cerise" sound exactly identical.  Grrr.....best go and take my prednisolone tablets now or I will break out in a rash all over again Cry Out [:'(]Cry Out [:'(]Cry Out [:'(] 

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Sounds like she has a wooden ear for language.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Well with my 'poor' ear for language, dessus and dessous, both sound the same unless they are said slowly, and en haut or en bas is far better for me.

And brouette and bouillotte can sound the same to me, but I don't want the former in my bed, now do I!Woot! [:-))]

Sometimes these things can be amusing, but just leave me realising that it's always been very hard for me, and it's nigh on miraculous that I got as far as I did.

Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
Sounds like she has a wooden ear for language.

As she's not been unknown to get legless, she'd end up with a wooden leg as well as a wooden ear, if she doesn't watch it.

Anyway, it's not that hard if you have problems making out sounds.  You shut your mouth, open your ears, ask for things to be repeated, you try out the sounds in the privacy of your own bathroom, you try out the new sounds as practised to a trusted audience, you ask to be corrected and you shut your mouth, open your ears, etc, and repeat the process.

I reckon my dog has learnt a lot of French since my early days  here and I'd take her out for long walks, repeating "tricky" words to myself.  If only she could speak, I'll bet her accent would be as good as mine (which is to say not great!)Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
Well with my 'poor' ear for language, dessus and dessous, both sound the same unless they are said slowly, and en haut or en bas is far better for me.

And brouette and bouillotte can sound the same to me, but I don't want the former in my bed, now do I!Woot! [:-))]

Sometimes these things can be amusing, but just leave me realising that it's always been very hard for me, and it's nigh on miraculous that I got as far as I did.

Oh, id, I hope you're not referring to your OH as a brouette, are you?Stick out tongue [:P]

Cold as it is, it's not cold enough at the moment to have my bouillotte in the bed or I've even been known to have deux bouillottes Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

What can I say, but I get hot in bed, so no need of a bouillotte or brouette, for that matter.

I cannot do what you said, get someone to repeat it and then go solo at home. I simply cannot remember other than the wrong way, my 'sound' memory is rubbish. So we have to do it there and then. eg Laitue.......... may be easy for some of you, but I had a neighbour saying it over and over again to me, and me repeating it. It is one french word I say really well, with uuuuu at the end, said proper like!

Report   Reply Quote

For reasons I can't fathom, I've never been able to say "poêle" properly. Fortunately, I think I may have cracked it.

One of my students can't say anything with "euil" in it, so just has a fit of the giggles every time "feuille" or "acceuil" comes up..but I think I've finally managed to convince her of the importance of distinguishing between "jeune" and "jaune", "oeufs" and "yeux" and "cheveux" and "chevaux". Which is a shame, really, as it made for some interesting conversations!

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
For reasons I can't fathom, I've never been able to say "poêle" properly. Fortunately, I think I may have cracked it.

Yes, poêle took some practising for me too.  Fortunately, we had 2 poêles à bois and also 2 poêles à pétrole, so I went around pointing them out to the dog and practising till I got it.

I've still got to stop for a second or two before I'd say "bouilloire" though.

Would love to hear your student saying "seuil" Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine