French Language

Topic has 27 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Really embarrassing mistake:(

JimmyEveriss wrote:
The young woman behind the counter gasped in horror, as did the customers waiting behind him who then proceeded to shout and gesture furiously at him before he was thrown out. Any ideas on what he said? I'm always very careful when asking for milk now!

No idea but the young woman might have said, "Vous vous foutez ma guerle!"

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Vous êtes laid?  You are ugly?
Laid/lait sounds quite similar even if it should be laide for a woman, and some English people might not know how to say est-ce que vous avez....

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I can think of a few things that he could have said. And people mispronounce so things don't sound like they really should.

I have an odd vocabulary,  and probably rather too rich in  rude ones to be honest. I have made enough faux pas in my time.

Report   Reply Quote

Clarkkent wrote:
When we were furnishing our French house (many years ago) my wife went into a bedding shop and told the sales assistant that she wanted a matelot. He didn't bat an eyelid!

Thankyou, this did make me smile.

Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Ah, Norman, it comes to all of us. The oher day I asked a rather sweet your thing if I coild introduce myself and she said surely I meant present! Ho hum, back to packing.

Now let me try and imagine the scene.  So.....she didn't want you to go any further than flashing?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

In the matter of "desserte" I was lucky; soon after I arrived in France, at the beginning of a street I was about to drive down, there was a no-entry sign with a notice under it saying SAUF DESSERTE LOCALE.

It didn't seem very likely to me that they would be refusing entry except to local puddings, so when I got home I did some dictionary research and found out the truth.
   Report   Reply Quote
Whistles [Www]

One summer I was driving into town to buy a new mower belt with and for a friend of ours, an older French lady.
As we were driving along I stated "Je suis chaud!"
She was very quick to correct me...
   Report   Reply Quote

At a quiz evening where all the questions (set by me) were on matters French, I gave the answer to the question " What was the name of Claude Monet's garden?" as Givenchy! Still haven't lived it down.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine