French Education

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: integrating a child with asperger's syndrome

Many thanks to everyone who has replied. It has proved very useful.

Cari
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Cari, I would recommend that you do your research, which is what you seem to be doing. That said, I taught in French schools around 2005-2007 and there still was little provision. I taught in both rural and city schools. One child which I taught was dyslexic and he was treated as someone having a major special need by both Teachers and children but with no provisions made, he was mainly offered pity! Children in the larger cities tend to send to special colleges and put together with children who have social needs. In rural areas, children with needs were left to their own devices and parents were offered pity! Quite sad really. Life for Anglophones in French schools is hard particularly in rural areas, it is tough in the cities too! I chose to leave France because of this. A real shame as I love the Country so much!
http://www.chateau-de-clerac.com
   Report   Reply Quote

I have a good friend who chose to leave France because (among other things) of the immense problems the family faced with one of their children who has autism. Their child is a lovely, outgoing, intelligent and articulate person, and you really couldn't wish to meet a nicer child. At school, this poor kid was made to sit at the back of the classroom - often facing the wall, back to the rest of the class. the teachers' response to this child with special educational needs was to ignore the problem wherever possible, and, when this didn't "work", to endeavour to have the child placed in a special school. As someone has already mentioned, this would not have been a school for children with similar needs, but simply a repository for any child who didn't "fit". Most of the time, any lack of compliance by the child was treated as wilful disobedience and punished. On top of this, a supposed "expert" was brought in to assess the child, and this poor kid was told by the "expert" (without the parents even being present) "there is something wrong with your brain".

This, by the way, was in the Charente.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine