French Education

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Our daugther

NormanH wrote:
... if you go on a course or attend a meeting where people don't know each other this sort of 2 minute postage stamp of who you are is expected to say in front of the whole group.

Quite true.
I've had to "present" myself (in English, which was more of a foreign language at the time than it is now) more times than I can remember for job interviews and training courses...
I did it for United Airlines, trying to get a job as a flight attendant (they offered a place on the training course, but I chickened out), I did it for Kodak at the start of a 7-day training course at Hemel Hampstead and for various refresher courses during my working life in England...

I do a bit of English conversation with a few youngsters in the village, and I ask them to speak about themselves for a couple of minutes, as a way to assess their fluency and to get them used to speaking without a text to refer to. We do variations (family, hobbies, carreer, lottey win...) and they get more comfortable and less self-conscious about ad-libbing in a foreign language very quickly...

Could it be that a teacher has suggested your daughter is not ready for the exam because she's not yet ready to speak in front of her peers...?

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Hoddy wrote:

"Alan, it is a requirement for English GCSE in England."

I was thinking more in my day, which admittedly was quite a long time ago....

Report   Reply Quote

And what does the OP think of our ideas?
   Report   Reply Quote

Sadly it would seem ............... not a lot.

I hope that he does come back though - it may just be that he's establishing the details of this presentation requirement.

Maybe that will diffuse the whole thing.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine